North Brookfield Nativities

Karen Dusty began collecting nativities many years ago and now has more than 60, from all over the country and all over the world.  Some of them are works of art; others are less elegant (but no less precious, of course).  The children play with them and arrange them, Ms Dusty explained, and pieces get broken, but even the Christ Child can be repaired.  Originally from Washington State, Ms Dusty first exhibited her collection there, then when she moved to North Carolina, she continued the tradition.  Now in her first year at the North Brookfield Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, she again decided she wanted to display her nativities for the enjoyment of the LDS congregation and others in the community.

When we were children, we usually set up a crèche in our home at Christmas — only because we had one.  Now that I’m older, I find that I appreciate the nativity story as a symbol of hope and reconciliation, so I thought it would be worthwhile viewing this collection.  The display at the church opened to the public at noon, but it wasn’t until late in the afternoon that I found time to visit.  It was interesting to see the variety of interpretations:  clearly, Christians everywhere have taken the story and made it their own.  I couldn’t pick a favorite; instead, I photographed randomly.

This one is set up like an Advent Calendar.

The style is almost Asian, perhaps because of the jade-green color.

These glass figures are from Europe (somewhere).

Hmm, someone must love animals.

Are these really bears?!

This is a simple, all-fabric group.

These figures look like they’re made of porcelain.

Here’s another very simple set.

I like this Native American theme.

No, not the animals again!

These look like cardboard cutouts.

This style suggests folk art.

Who would have thought that the tableau of mother-father-infant, in the stable with the farm animals, and the wise men, and the angels and shepherds, would become so well-known and so loved by both children and adults!