A Vegan Thanksgiving

I haven’t blogged about Thanksgiving since 2010, and I’ve written only one food-related post in the three years since then, so here’s another perspective on this very American holiday.

On Thursday, I celebrated “regular Thanksgiving,” along with millions of my fellow citizens.  It was a lovely day for me, because I escaped the dysfunctional family dynamics that characterize so many of these gatherings and instead traveled to Amherst to join a small group of friends.  Today, ten of us gathered in Worcester for “vegan Thanksgiving,” as we have each year for over a decade.

Yes, we ate heartily and well without animals having suffered and died in order for us to do so.  Among the delicious dishes on the table this year were these:

• Tofurkey with gravy
  • mashed potatoes
  • stuffing
  • butternut squash
  • Irish stuffing
  • sweet potatoes and apples
  • nut and bean loaf
  • cranberry sauce
  • rolls

There was vegan wine, and for dessert

• chocolate cake
  • chocolate mousse
  • pumpkin pie

I made the sweet potato dish, from a recipe in the November 2013 Vegetarian Times magazine, and the pumpkin pie from a recipe I found on the web.

Thank you, Deirdre and Larry for hosting, and thank you to Dave, Nina, Steve, Hugh, Diane, Barbara, and Anne for your company and conversation.

2 thoughts on “A Vegan Thanksgiving

1. I tested both recipes before I felt comfortable bringing them to the dinner. So yes, they both turned out well. I made one modification to the sweet potato-apple dish, in that I didn’t mash it — it’s supposed to be like mashed potatoes but I left it chunky. For the pumpkin pie, I cut the amount of sugar in half, and of course I pressed the tofu first.