Nature Conservancy Helps Protect the Westfield River

Although I don’t remember how I first heard about them, I’ve been a supporter of the Nature Conservancy for many years.  Perhaps for that reason, I was asked if I wanted to join a small group of Conservancy staff and supporters on a field trip to a site in Western Massachusetts, where they have been working to protect the Westfield River and its watershed.  Weather forecasters did not paint a rosy picture, but the organizers decided we’d go anyway, so I said yes, I’m in, and at 10 this morning, I met the rest of the group at the Chesterfield Post Office.  There were a few of us from the area (even though I live in Worcester County, I counted myself as one of them) and the rest joined us from Eastern Massachusetts.

We drove south on South Street for a few miles, then got out to hike around Long Pond, which I believe is fed by the Dead Branch of the Westfield River.  It did rain rather steadily on and off, so we were lucky to have access to a friend’s house near the Pond where we could eat lunch and dry off a bit.  In the afternoon, we drove to a second area, off Bisbee Road I think, near land managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.  My camera got wet and now won’t take photos, but I did get these two, which will give you some idea of what these portions of the watershed look like.
TNC-Chester-1
TNC-Chester-2
The Nature Conservancy has been working in this area for about ten years now, looking at such issues as: Where are the intact forests? What are the priority parcels? Can we partner with the DCR? Are there private landowners who are interested in protecting their land with a conservation restriction?

The Westfield River was designated a “wild and scenic river” in 2004, and it well deserves that moniker.  There are no dams on the river, and it is prime habitat for a number of species of special concern in Massachusetts, such as cold-water fish, wood turtles, and rare dragonflies.