North Brookfield Art, Music, and Color Fest

In January of this year,  the Friends of Wendemuth Meadow, a motley crew of concerned citizens (I include myself among them), began planning a major event as the capstone of our campaign to raise funds for the purchase of Wendemuth Meadow, a 30 acre tract of land on Bates Street in North Brookfield.  We discussed a number of ideas and settled on a festival celebrating art and music and everything that adds color to our lives.  Thanks to the energy, enthusiasm, and hard work of Brandon Avery and Janine Drake, co-chairs of the North Brookfield Color Fest Committee, the event was a resounding success.

At 10 this morning, I drove into the lot at the Time-Out on 31 East Brookfield Road (the former Chooch’s bar).
NBColor-2015-01For most of the day, in fact, until almost 5:30 when we began closing, I was at the Friends table, in a booth with both the East Quabbin Land Trust and the Color Fest Committee.  We talked to fair-goers, handed out literature, sold T-shirts, and collected donations.  In the photo below, Cynthia Henshaw, East Quabbin Land Trust Executive Director, sets up the display:
NBColor-2015-02In between, I found some time to enjoy the festivities.  The festival attracted many vendors who sold their wares, all in accord with the theme, like this one:
NBColor-2015-05There was food and drink of course, and I treated myself to ice cream.  I also made sure to step inside the bar, where I admired the works by local artists in the art show and perused items in the silent auction (I bid on two items and won one).

NBColor-2015-04 There was lots of music, with local bands showcasing their talents:

NBColor-2015-07At the other end of the lot was a drumming circle:

NBColor-2015-08A friend decided on a henna tattoo, which I liked so much I got one myself (I tried taking a photo of my arm so you could see the design, but the photo didn’t do it justice):

NBColor-2015-06The color throws took place in the afternoon.  Don’t these guys look great?

NBColor-2015-09Note that the colored powder we sold is made of cornstarch and FDA-approved cosmetic-grade dyes.  It is an environmentally friendly product, non-toxic, biodegradable, and skin-safe.  Here’s another group of colorful fair-goers:

NBColor-2015-10At the back of our booth, you can see our fund-raising thermometer, climbing toward the $50,000 goal, which we reached this afternoon!

NBColor-2015-03I’m so glad we could do this, both to meet our fund-raising goal and to bring our community together for fun and festivities.  We thank our sponsors, the Statz Restaurant and Sports Bar and the North Brookfield Cultural Council; heartfelt thanks as well to the many volunteers who made the day a success.