2. Fri. Sept. 11 Classification of Matter

1. Read chapter 1 (11-19)
2. Chemical Classification of Matter

HW/OWL

OWL 1.3,1.4,1.5, 1.6; several IC modules due Sunday, September 13

Pat O. sent a good answer to the average mass question.  The important thing is to recognize that the answer will only have 4 significant digits. “Hello, professor Knapp. I believe 1.008 amu would be the correct answer, out to 4 significant digits. Have a nice weekend, and see you on Monday.”

popcorn-48x48

screen capture Sept 11

11 thoughts on “2. Fri. Sept. 11 Classification of Matter

1. Prateek Jha

Hello Kevin and Samantha. I am not sure if you two were having the same problem that I was having – but when I did the root questions (where it would ask you for the negative 5th root of a product of exponential values) I also had some trouble entering it into the OWL system. If you look at the bottom, the program will take your through the problem step by step of each part of the question which will help you get to the answer. There seemed to be a problem with taking the negative root – so I refreshed the page until I got a positive root and did that out, and I got the correct answer. Make sure you are careful when you enter values as well. Best of luck!

2. Samantha Sherlock

I also had a problem with the roots equation. After I multiplied the base numbers in the problem I had trouble calculating the value of the magnitudes and became completely stuck. What should I do because I finished the rest of the homework friday night except that one problem and I don’t want to be marked down a lot because of that one question.

3. Kevin Tse

Hello I’m having difficulty on a question regarding roots. I’ve simplified the question all the way to: -10 root of 5.583e-11. I’m not sure on what to press to enter the -10 root. I’ve tried the math button>5 but I keep on getting the wrong answer.

4. chem111-mjknapp Post author

Hi Alyssa,
    yeah, that’s a great question. What you need to remember is that 1 g = 1E+9 ng. If you multiply each side of the equation by 1E-9, you get: 1E-9 g = 1 ng.

You’ll learn more about unit conversions, and dimensional analysis, next week. If you already know something about this topic, you could recognize that {(1 g)/(1E+9 ng)} is a conversion factor which allows you to cancel out units, as the numerator and denominator are equivalent to each other, just with different units (AKA dimensions).

5. Alyssa Tyas

Hello I was curious on one of the OWL questions about metric conversions. I had a question about converting 1g to __ ng.. I said 1E-9 but the correct answer was E+9. why’s that? Its a smaller conversion not a larger one

6. Justin Ka Ming Tso

Hey Kristine, to be safe, I suggest you to register your PRS through owl that way you can know for sure that your PRS is registered.

and…

Professor Knapp, will you be telling us in class whether our PRS is registered?

7. Kristine Hughes

I was wondering if we need to register our PRS clickers for this class? They work already, but will we get points for what we’ve answered correctly?

8. Sam Kmail

With regard to multiplication, significant digits are reduced to the smaller number involved in the calculation in the answer.