13. Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Energy, First law of thermodynamics, Specific heat capacity

1. Read Chapter 5 (209-222)
2. OWLs due Thursday (5.1, 5.2,5.3) and Sunday (5.4, 5.5,5.6)

Power outage?  Shmower outage.  here’s a brief movie of the slides that I would have used today, if power had been present.  Fortunately, I had several fireworks for fun.  I hope that the use of chalk was not too bewildering – it is weird to go back to a one-color format of teaching…

Oct 7 quickie

Oct 7 quickie

10 thoughts on “13. Wednesday, October 7, 2009

1. Daniel Levine

Hey professor Knapp I was wondering when the answer key for exam one would be available.

Thank you

2. Michael Donovan

Prof. Knapp in class awhile ago you said you were going to give us the PRS grades on certain dates that collided. When are you going to do this? Thank you for your time.

3. alyssa shore

that does help, and I set the equations equal to each other, and then moved them around so that it was qmetal + qwater= 0, and solved for it, but I wasn’t getting the correct answer. I am at a lose of what I am doing wrong. but thank you!

4. chem111-mjknapp Post author

Fantastic that you are working ahead, especially after an exam!

I assume that you mean OWL 5.2h. Perhaps one of these will help:
    “Specific heat capacity” is abbreviated as “C_p_” (subscripted p).
    m x (DeltaT) x Cp = heat energy (note that the product of mass and Cp has units of J/K, or J/degreeC)
    The sum of (heat lost by the metal) + (heat gained by water) is equal to zero. In others words, |Qmetal| = |Qwater|

5. chem111-mjknapp Post author

Hi Kyle,
    You should easily know how many of the OWL assignments have been completed by looking at your OWL page. To estimate your grade to-date, simply consider only the best 90% of the OWLs. Then add the best 90% of your PRS grades. Then add your exam total (posted within the next few days). This will let you know how you are doing in the lecture part of the course.

6. alyssa shore

Hi Professor,
    I am trying to work through OWLs due for sunday, and I am stuck on the heat equilibrium tutorial. I looked in the book to figure out how to solve for Tfinal but I am still unclear on how to solve for it. Do you have any hints to help me work through it?

7. Greg keohane

Prof. Knapp, I remember you saying there were problems with the PRS’s on some days, and my PRS grade is missing days that I was there with my prs and used it. Will that get changed or fixed somehow.