The University of Massachusetts Amherst
Categories
News

Friday March 2 2012 Update

Hi Kin 535,

There are a variety of topics in today’s blog:

1. The Final Exam schedule is out, and the Kin 535 exam is scheduled for Thursday, May 3 at 8:00 AM in Totman 153. Note that I have ZERO input on the date and time (i.e. I don’t like 8 AM any better than you do….).

2. As I mentioned yesterday in class, there are 2 readings associated with the linear muscle modeling. The first is a viscoelasticity chapter (listed under Rheological Modeling), and the 2nd (for those interested) is a more detailed look at the mathematics behind the exponential equation for F(t) …  (listed under Hill Model).

3. Next week we will start a section on muscle architecture and how the Hill model can be used to represent specific muscles within a musculoskeletal model. For example, what do we need to consider to build a model of ankle joint function where we use Hill models to represent the soleus, gastrocnemius, and tibialis anterior? There are several sections of the Lieber (1992) textbook that speak to this issue, but they are spread across the first 3 chapters.  For Tuesday, read the following:

Lieber (1992) Chapter 1: pp 32-46

Lieber (1992) Chapter 2: pp 67-70; 82-84

Lieber (1992) Chapter 3

3. Hopefully everyone is up and running on the computer model, so please start working on Lab 1 right away. The lab is due on Tuesday, March 13, but it is not something you can complete in one night (say, between 9 and 10 PM on March 12th). You will need time to get used to the model interface, time to run the various experimental conditions, time to export the data into a spreadsheet to make the graphs, time to answer the questions, and time to pull it all together when the printer decides not to work correctly or runs out of ink.  Best advice I can give you is to start this weekend.

Cheers,

Dr. C.