Reflections/experiences: university, travel, UMass

I began my university experience at McGill University as an International Development Studies major. This major and the general environment of the school were not a good match for me, but before transferring I desperately wanted to travel and study abroad. I decided to do a direct enrollment at the Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Valparaíso (PUCV), in Valparaíso, Chile. This meant that instead of going to Chile with a program I went as an independent student, allowing me to set-up my own living arrangements, class schedule, and extracurricular activities (this also means I didn’t pay a program but rather just paid university tuition, which is usually much cheaper).

This was an exciting and scary adventure; I boarded a plane in Boston, Massachusetts, and made my way from the Santiago airport to the Valparaíso bus station, and from there to a nearby hostel. Even though I was not with a program PUCV has a very good exchange office and program for foreigners. My orientation was with all the other foreign students (almost all of the Americans were with programs, almost none of the other students from France, Germany, or Spain were), and I easily met all the other foreign exchange students. The PUCV international student office was incredibly supportive and caring, offering many opportunities to get involved in school activities, as well as sponsoring many trips, parties, and events for the foreign students.

Studying abroad does not necessarily mean a huge increase in language proficiency. I saw that many English-speaking students were able to spend all their class time, free time, and travel time together and consequently spoke English much more than they spoke Spanish. This is another advantage I found to not being with a program – the house I was living in had people from all over the world (Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Chile) and it was most inclusive and fun when our common language was Spanish. Language proficiency comes with intention to listen and bravery to speak and make mistakes; additionally, being immersed in a specific country’s Spanish means that you get to learn the vocab, slang, and accent particular to where you are living.

Deciding half way through my year in Chile that I was going to transfer to UMass was a difficult and ultimately very rewarding decision. I would not have come to make this decision if I hadn’t taken myself out of my context – I needed some distance from McGill and my life there to be able to see the changes I could and should make in regard to my academic goals and general happiness. At UMass, I easily chose to be a Spanish major and have been pleased by the selection of classes available, as well as the possibilities offered with the Certificate in Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies.

What I primarily take away from this experience abroad did not come from sitting in a classroom or from studying Spanish grammar. For me, by far the most meaningful and enjoyable parts of living in another country were the interpersonal connections and friendships I made along the way. Humility, patience, and flexibility were all skills I practiced while abroad but are also qualities I have learned the value of no matter what country I am in. “Cultural competency” to me means the ability to recognize and humanize those who are different from us. Traveling to another country gave me the chance to engage in a process of self-reflection that challenged me to realize all that I take for granted, and to examine my own perspectives and positions in the world. This is an ongoing, challenging, and rewarding process that did not end for me when I got off the plane back in Boston a year later. Learning to work across differences of all kinds and establish relationships based on respect and recognition are skills that I am always practicing and that I am confident will carry me through the rest of my university career and beyond.