Study Abroad Masks

Through my recent study abroad trip I realized something that a lot of travelers, including myself, seem to do that puzzles me.

A friend I met who was studying abroad at the same time a me in Colombia was from United States planning to teach english in a Spanish Speaking Country. Her language speaking level was excellent.

I guess due to this fact she was offended when a local who she didn’t know would come to her and start speaking in English. The way she explained it to me was, “Don´t just assume I don’t know how to speak Spanish. I’ve been studying it for 10 years, I think I know what ‘cruzar la calle’ means..”

She continued to explain how friends she made in Colombia would sometimes ask her things in English, this would also offend her for the same reasons. “I couldve understood that if you said it in Spanish”

Her reactions to these occurrences puzzled me. It made me think, on a bigger picture, when foreigners to a country get offended when they are treated like foreigners. This can be with language and other social settings as well. and other aspects to another country’s culture. It is the feeling of being labled an outsider that makes people uncomfortable.

Yet, this is puzzling because that is what you are.

I think it is important to embrace our differences and realize that all that we know in life makes us who we are. There is nothing to feel ashamed of or take offense to for not knowing music, dance, food, and other aspects of a culture. I think if this mentality is established we can enjoy our time abroad more with honesty and simply learn about another part of the world without having to put on a mask. Tha mask of trying to blend in a culture that is not yours.

It is one thing to learn dances and songs and the food etc. of another culture. It is another thing to do so in a fashion were you have the feeling of being an outsider of not doing a dance well or not blending in well with another culture. Another thing to feel a dark shadow cast upon you when a local or even some social situation or setting that exposes the fact that you are not from this country.

Why should my friend be offended for them treating her like what she is? Although she did have great fluency, she still had a noticeable American accent speaking Spanish and had a strong white-american appearance as well. Did she expect to be treated like a Colombiana Barranquillera, Latina? And why would she be ashamed if they didn´t if she is not Colombian?

Myself, I am Puertorican but didn’t grow up speaking Spanish and overall I did not feel very connected with my culture. Now I am starting to get fluent in my language and connect with my culture. So for me, when Latinos treat me as an outsider, I get offended.

For me, it is just part of my identity that I had a childhood when I maybe wasn’t so connected to my culture and didn’t grow up speaking the language. This affects the way I talk, walk, what food I eat, and everything else about me. So what is the use of hiding from something that you can´t take away. It is what makes us unique. I won’t feel anything negative when my true self is exposed if I completely accept myself for who I am.

This may seem obvious, but you may be surprised how you and others studying abroad will act. This is a great lesson for studying abroad and can enhance your study abroad experience. I know it will for my next time traveling across seas.