Bilingual Educator

My name is Alexander Ayala-Palacin and I am recent graduate of UMass with my Bachelors in Spanish and Certificates in Interpreting Studies, Medical Spanish Interpreting, and Spanish and Health. With this resume many would assume I am on my way to be a medical interpreter. I felt the same way until I received an email from Career Services that changed everything. 

Much of the responsibilities of this position was things I had experience from a job as an After School Counselor in a Elementary School, so I felt confident of my ability to perform the work, and it seemed something that I could realistically do, a first step after graduating. Otherwise I had no idea what I wanted to do after graduating.

City Year is an Americore Program, which eventually made me look up more of their programs, which led me to stumble on Teach for America (TFA), a 2 year program where you work as a teacher. I attended an info session for TFA and discovered the possibility of Bilingual Education, a route that is offered through TFA.

This set off a light bulb, everything about being a Bilingual Educator was appealing to me and I became motivated to take on this new goal I had. I had various phone conversations with TFA as well as visiting the College of Education at UMass and setting up a meeting to find out what I was getting myself into. City Year accepted me into their program for the 2017-18 program that would start in September. So I had  January until July to spend time working.

Through a great job search engine for education jobs I found a position as an interpreter working with individual students in their class setting for 25 hours a week, After School Counselor through an employer that pays $20/hour, and a case by case basis Substitute gig (often subbing for Spanish teachers, since they knew I was a Spanish Major).

All of these positions I feel are helping me prepare for my new career path in different ways. My interpreter position, allows me to practice my terminology and vocabulary for academic settings as well as tutoring and behavior management skills. I also take mental notes and  observe how the teachers manage the classroom and perform their jobs. The after school position reinforced my development on behavior management  as well as creating a 8 week curriculum for my activities. Being a substitute, as can be expected, put me in a dynamic setting of being a teacher and running a classroom.

I will continue working in these positions, and start my training for City Year on July 22nd. After this I plan to apply to TFA and pursue Bilingual Education, where I will earn my Teaching Certification and take advantage of TFA partnership programs and pursue my Masters and specialize in Bilingual Education.

I think the most important thing I got out of my recent changes and discoveries is that I did my research, made many phone calls, emails, and appointments to make smart decisions about my journey. I also think it is very important to keep your mind open and alert to different opportunities for a Spanish Major so when it comes along, it may speak to you in a way you would not have imagined, and you can capitalize when it does.