Advice Every Student Studying Abroad Should Hear

Studying abroad in Spain has been a dream of mine for many years now. I have always envisioned myself studying abroad, however, I was not quite sure what the process of getting there would entail.  Now that I am a Spanish major here at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, I have chosen to study abroad next semester in Madrid. Choosing a city, completing the applications, and meeting deadlines was a very overwhelming and stressful time period for me this past semester. I would like to share my process with anyone who is considering studying abroad, in hopes that my advice may help to ease and simplify their process.

My process began back in August when the “talk of the town” included everyone talking about where they wanted to study abroad. As I mentioned, I was certain that I wanted to study abroad in Spain. However, I really had no idea which city I wanted to study in. My friends and family kept asking me, “What program are you going to do?” and “When are you going to decide where you want to go?” These questions were very overwhelming and I began to panic. Many of my friends from high school and UMass were leaning towards Barcelona, which is where I initially believed I would end up studying. After many discussions over the summer with my friends and family, I came back to UMass in September for the start of the fall semester with my heart set on studying in Barcelona.

As a very indecisive person, it did not take me long to figure out that Barcelona may not be the perfect fit for me. As a Spanish major, I wanted to choose my city based off of prioritizing the improvement of my Spanish oral and communication skills. After speaking to Luis and multiple advisors at IPO, I came to realize that I was choosing Barcelona for all of the wrong reasons. My decision was being swayed due to the fact that many of my close friends were going to be studying there too. I was informed that although Barcelona is a beautiful city, it is not the best place for Spanish majors to study due to the fact that it is very touristy, meaning that a lot of people in Barcelona speak English and those who do not speak English, often speak Catalan, which is a language of Spain that I am not familiar with. Barcelona is also known for being a “party city”, which I feared would get in the way of my academics. I felt extremely lost because I had my mind set on Barcelona for many weeks. I decided to go into IPO to get advice on what my next step should be.

Once I decided that Barcelona was not the best fit for me, I began to explore other options. I knew that I wanted a big city, which helped me narrow down my options. I spoke to Cristina Sosa, one of the advisors at IPO, about other cities. I came to the conclusion that Madrid was the best alternative for me. It is a large city, however, it is less touristy that Barcelona and more traditional Spanish is spoken there. I have a friend that is studying in Madrid currently, so I reached out to her and had her tell me about her experience. She seemed to love it so much, which made me eager to choose Madrid. I also do not know many people that are going to Madrid next semester, which made me feel as though I would be going on this trip more independently, which is an aspect that I really enjoyed. Finally, I chose Madrid as my destination. However, I still had a lot more work to do.

Choosing a program can be quite difficult, especially because there are so many. Initially, I was choosing between API and St. Louis. Both programs offered a variety of courses that interested me and  would count towards my major. Therefore, it was not the academics that were my concern. I was more concerned about the price of the program because as an instate student, studying abroad is much more expensive than paying for a semester here at UMass. After looking at the pros and cons of each program, I finally decided on API because of the financial factor. I met with the study abroad financial aid advisor, Sharon Ruth, who explained to me step by step how financial aid would be transferred to API. This was very relieving because I was super nervous about the financial aspect of studying abroad.

Once I decided on API, I needed to fill out their application, as well as the IPO application. This was the part of the process that was very time consuming because there are many requirements. With such a busy class schedule, I had difficulty finding time to submit all of the materials. Between getting forms notarized and filling out my visa application, I found myself becoming very overwhelmed.

The Timeline of My Application Process:

1. Going to IPO for help
  2. Choosing a city
  3. Choosing a program
  4. Meeting with my academic advisor to discuss/elect classes
  5. Meeting with Sharon Ruth to discuss finances
  6. Filling out the API application (this requires many forms, including a letter of recommendation)
  7. Waiting to hear back from API
  8. Getting accepted into the program
  9. Completing post-acceptance forms
  10. Completing IPO application
  11. Applying for a student visa
  12. All done!

Since the deadlines approach really quickly, it is important to stay on top of everything. I was able to complete everything on time and it is such a relief knowing that all I need to do now is pack my bags and board the plane!

My Advice to Future Study Abroad Students:

1. Even though you may be semesters away from studying abroad, start thinking now about potential countries and/or cities you would like to study in. It may seem far away, but before you know it, it will be your time to study abroad and the process will be made much easier if you have an idea of where you want to go!
  2. Choose your country and city based off of what works best for you. Prioritize your goals, aspirations, and interests. Do not follow what your friends are doing! Push yourself out of your comfort zone and make a whole hearted decision that you will be excited about.
  3. Talk to your academic advisor as soon as possible and find out what classes you need to fulfill. Once you know what classes you need to take, choosing a program will be much easier. Many people choose their program solely based on what classes are offered. Find out if classes for your minor (if you have one) are offered as well! If possible, elect more classes than you need to take. It is smart to do this as a precaution in case one of the classes you chose is no longer offered upon arrival in your new school. This way, you will have back up courses and will not need to stress or try to contact your advisor to make sure your new course(s) will be credited, as this can be difficult due to the time change in different countries.
  4. Do not stress about the money; apply for scholarships! There are a wide variety of scholarships that you can apply for, both through UMass, your program, and outside organizations. Students who receive the Pell-grant in their financial aid package are strongly encouraged to apply for the Gilman Scholarship. The deadline for that application is very early, so it is important to get a head start on it. Also, keep in mind that almost all financial aid will transfer over to your study abroad program! Meet with Sharon Ruth and she will tell you exactly how much financial aid will cover the cost of your trip.
  5. Work closely with IPO, they are there to help and support you! They offer a wide range of services that are accessible to everyone including peer-mentor advice, scheduled appointments, as well as drop in advising hours. Utilize all of the opportunities that IPO has to offer. They really can answer any question or concern that you may have. If possible, I recommend physically going to the IPO office when you need help with something; since a large number of students apply to study abroad, the IPO office is often bombarded with emails and calls, which deters them from contacting you in a timely manner via email and call. With strict deadlines, it is easier and more efficient to quickly stop by the office for assistance!
  6. If your program is longer than 90 days, you will be required to obtain a student visa. Make an appointment as soon as possible on the website of the consulate nearest to you. These appointments fill up very fast, so it is important to try to schedule one as far in advance as possible. Do not stress if you do not get an appointment right away, slots will open up as people cancel their appointments!
  7. Begin to brainstorm potential professors to write you an excellent letter of recommendation for your study abroad program. Not all programs require this, however, many do. Make sure to find out if this is something your program requires, so that you can ask your professor well in advance to ensure you receive it on time!
  8. It is ok to be indecisive! Do not worry if you feel lost, overwhelmed, and stressed; it is totally normal. While studying abroad is a magnificent opportunity and experience, it is also a big commitment that can seem overwhelming to many. Take each step day by day and set the time aside to complete everything. If I was able to do it, I know that you can too! It may be stressful, but it is definitely worth it in the end. Take advantage of every opportunity out there!