My Experience Studying Abroad in Madrid

Having the opportunity to study abroad in Madrid was truly one of the greatest experiences that I will forever cherish. Now that I am back at UMass, finishing my degree in Spanish, I have had so much time to reflect on my experience studying abroad. As I have written in my previous blog post, studying abroad was something that I always envisioned myself taking part in, even prior to coming to UMass and choosing to pursue a degree in Spanish.

It really is hard to believe that my experience studying abroad is simply a memory now. I really mean it when I say that it went by in the blink of an eye. I know that may sound cliché because that is what everyone says. But really, it does. I remember going through security with my passport and looking back at my mom who was waving goodbye, as we both were shedding tears. As sad as I was to leave home and as nervous as I was to be leaving the country for the first time ever, I was so excited about the journey I was about to embark on. Thinking back on it still gives me butterflies.

Arriving in Spain was extremely overwhelming. I felt like a fish out of water. All knowledge of the Spanish speaking language that I had learned up until that point seemed to vanish from my brain as soon as the plane landed. I had no idea where baggage claim was and finding a taxi to my apartment was a lot more difficult that I had anticipated. My first few days in Madrid were very unsettling and nerve-wracking. The city was much larger in person that I realized it would be and I was very nervous about how to find my way around. However, needless to say, that all changed once I settled in my apartment, began classes, began a routine and started to become familiar with the city.

Unlike many students who study abroad through API, which is the program I chose, I decided to live in an apartment which I rented through a company called Study Abroad Apartments. I lived with four other girls; Allie, Kristina, Chloe, and Madi. We all became very close and spent a lot of time together both inside and outside of the apartment. It was really comforting to have these girls by my side because there were times that I was very homesick. We helped each other navigate the metro and become familiar with our surroundings. As much as I loved living in my apartment, I will admit that I am somewhat resentful of not doing a homestay. This is not because I didn’t love my experience or my apartment, I just think that I would have improved my Spanish speaking skills a little more if I had been forced to them more. I knew this going into it and I was warned by many that I should do a homestay. Although I did not speak much Spanish within my apartment, I was sure to use it when grocery shopping, asking for directions, at restaurants, when traveling, and in my classes at school. However, I do believe that my understanding of the language definitely improved throughout the semester, which was a goal I set for myself.

The picture to the left is of my roommates and I. The picture to the right is of my roommate Madi and I at a Real Madrid soccer game.

I went to school at the Universidad de Antonio Nebrija, which is a small private university in Madrid. I took four classes and genuinely enjoyed each of them. The dynamic of the classroom is very different in Spain, especially at my school. You are not allowed to leave the classroom to go to the bathroom unless it is a complete emergency. Also, it is considered very rude to yawn and stretch during class. All of my classes had approximately 10-20 students in them, which is very different from what I am used to here at UMass. I felt as though I knew all of professors personally, which was really great. I learned a lot about the culture and history of Spain, and about Madrid specifically. I became friends with a lot of the students in my class and it was nice to make those connections. Going from being at a large public university such as UMass to a small private school was very interesting, but I liked the change of pace.

I think part of why my time in Madrid went by so fast was because of how busy I was. I was able to work as an English tutor through Canterbury, which is an English teaching program in Madrid. I completed a four day training course in order to be certified to tutor, and then I was paired with a young girl named Sofía. I met with her once a week on Tuesday’s to help her improve her English speaking skills. She was only three years old, so it was rather challenging to communicate with her at times. I was not allowed to speak any Spanish to her during our time together, which also made it difficult. Working with Sofía was something that I looked forward to every week. Her mother told me that Sofía would always ask when I was coming back because she loved spending time with me. Although Sofía and I have a big gap between our age, I really felt close to her. I could tell that I was someone who she looked up to and she taught me so many things about myself. She taught me to be extremely patient, as it was frustrating at times to communicate with her. Working with her was a very rewarding experience. Watching her grow and improve her English speaking skills made me feel really good about myself and the work I was doing. Additionally, I was paid roughly 50 euros a month for my work as a tutor, which was really nice to have a little source of income throughout my trip.

The picture above is of Sofía, the student I tutored.

When I wasn’t in class, I spent my time exploring the city. What seemed to be the size of Mars at the beginning, Madrid ended up being very easy to navigate. Once I mastered the metro and became familiar with my surroundings, I went all over the city. I discovered little coffee shops places to do my work, and restaurants to eat at. I tried to stay away from American brand places such as Starbucks. I went to this salad shop down the street from my apartment at least twice a week. I ended up becoming friendly with the woman behind the counter, as she helped me practice my Spanish when I was in the store. It was amazing to see all the different parts of the city and to visit places such as the Royal Palace and the Prado.

The picture on the left is of me paragliding in the Swiss Alps in Interlaken Switzerland. The picture on the right is of me in front of the Royal Palace in Madrid.

Going into my study abroad experience, I had the mindset that I was not going to be leaving Madrid that much. However, once I got there, things changed. I ended up traveling to many different cities in Spain, as well as other countries. Within Spain I went to Toledo, Barcelona, Majorca, Valencia, and Tenerife. I also went to Italy, the Czech Republic, Ireland, Switzerland, Holland, and Portugal. Experiencing international travel for the first time is an experience that I can hardly put into words. Not only did I learn so much about other people, places, cultures, and history, I also learned so much about myself. I completely stepped outside my comfort zone by doing things such as paragliding off of the Swiss Alps. I wish I could have explored even more places, but I know that I will make my way back to Europe someday.

While I was in Madrid, I tried many new foods and acquired a new liking for different types of things. For example, I had never had fish before in my life. I ended up trying seafood paella and salmon and ended up really liking it. I became addicted to patatas bravas and croquettes. Additionally, I started to like wine, which I never used to.

Over all, I am more than pleased with my trip to Madrid. I honestly do not think I would change anything about my experience. Although many students studying Spanish are advised not to study in Madrid, I have to say that I do not think this is good advice to give them. I do think that there are pros and cons of studying in Madrid, but I believe that is the case for anywhere you choose to study. I am in strong support of studying in Madrid and I think that anyone who studies there will have an amazing experience!