Double Majoring Spanish and STEM

While choosing an array of diverse classes unrelated to your major inspires growth and intellectual stimulation, it can be even more satisfying for some people to channel that extra time into a second major, as this allows for a deeper dive into the subject matter. I am a senior completing my last semester at UMass, where I’ve been pursuing a dual degree in Spanish and Statistics for the last four years. 

As a whole, I’ve found that Spanish can serve as an excellent complement for nearly any STEM major. I’ve noticed that it is often paired with a degree in nursing or pre-med, because Spanish can prove an invaluable skill in hospitals, and because it helps elevate a med school application. It’s also helpful for students studying business and international relations, where communication is highly valued and necessary. There are very few careers in which an individual will not benefit and stand out as a bilingual speaker. Though there has been admittedly minimal overlap between my Statistics and Spanish classes, my semester schedules have always felt well-rounded and I know that I am a more articulate, well-informed person as a result of my Spanish secondary major. It has also provided a space to explore what makes me happy. 

One challenge with pursuing a double major is that, while you may have separate advisors to provide guidance with your primary and secondary majors individually, questions about the practical realities of merging two fields of study sometimes are met with a shrug of the shoulders. 

For instance, while a Spanish advisor might be happy to talk about the credits involved in classes abroad, it isn’t reasonable to expect them to know about the requirements for a math major, or whether it’s viable to take the semester off from math. (If anyone is wondering, it very much is, as long as you plan in advance).

Similarly, individual subject advisors may not have a lot of concrete advice for how to plan a future which involves both majors. I am planning to both go to graduate school to continue my studies in statistics/data science and also, separately, to teach Spanish abroad for a year after college. Again, while my math professors have been quite helpful with recommending data science programs around the country and it is not difficult to find career advisors to help me with my resume and personal statement, most STEM advisors are not certain whether a year in South America would hinder my math-related goals. Teaching abroad might seem like veering from my career for a short period of time, which for this reason (while they do not necessarily advise against it) might not seem the most practical to math department advisors. However, I am passionate about the possibility, and I believe it will make me a more well-rounded individual and worker, which can only benefit my future career goals.

There is a certain amount of uncertainty which feels at times unavoidable when double majoring, especially when you are interested in merging the fields later on. For the most part it is necessary to allow yourself some freedom to forge your own path and trust that everything, with effort and planning, will fall into place.

Below I’ve gathered some insights I’ve run across while pursuing a dual degree in Spanish and Math (with a Statistics concentration). Though my experience and the lessons I’ve learned may only be applicable to a specific group of people, I know that it would have been beneficial to hear them, so I hope someone out there might benefit. 

• Focus your internship search on the major you are more likely to pursue for a career, but consider possible ways in your future to incorporate your secondary major, whether that be volunteering opportunities or even potential career changes. For instance, I have considered the possibility that one day I might teach Spanish, and for this reason I have valued opportunities to practice tutoring and teaching, as it could pay off later. Having possible long-term plans helps frame your daily life, hobbies, or more mid-term goals.
  • It is okay to take time off from your STEM major. That could mean a semester off from STEM while studying abroad (if possible), or deciding to work instead of find a STEM internship after sophomore year if that feels like a better fit for the time being. It is too common that STEM majors feel that taking classes in other departments or pursuing other hobbies are distractions or something to make up for. It is not necessary to choose between proficiency in your STEM major and being a confident, well-rounded person with a diversity of interests. College is about overall growth, and moreover even the most successful people and global leaders in STEM did not get there without pursuing other curiosities and passions. It’s part of life.
  • Even if a career which merges two majors may not be as concrete or well-defined as the path for other majors, especially in STEM, this does not mean that you are being impractical or risky to pursue them. Plenty of people forge career paths post-college which do not have to do with their degree or combine a variety of interests. In the real world, most jobs require skills from a variety of fields, and the specific focus of your original college degree is not the sole determinant of your future path. The world is not so narrowly defined or categorical as it can seem in the academic world, and find excitement and freedom in the possibilities ahead.
  • Your relationships with your individual majors will likely change, either subtly or significantly, and be ready to accept these new perspectives as growth. You may find that you decide to prioritize your secondary major during your career instead, or focus more strongly on an aspect of the major which you previously did not think much about. 
  • Make sure to prioritize fitting in all requirements and credits for both your majors well in advance, especially if going abroad, and especially if pursuing a dual degree (which requires 150 credits) rather than a double major!