Going Abroad for the Academic Year

At first, I wasn’t sure if I should go for an entire year abroad. I was hesitant to go for the entire year since I knew I would miss out on a portion of my UMass experience and I would miss my friends and family. Despite missing UMass, I was glad I studied in Europe (sorry Amherst). I can guarantee that although it may seem hard at first to leave home, you won’t regret going for two semesters instead of one. I would be able to spend more time abroad learning new Spanish vocabulary, improving upon my speaking and listening skills, and integrating myself into a foreign culture for a longer period of time. One of the biggest decisions in the study abroad process is deciding where to study. Sevilla was the best place for me because the Universidad de Sevilla offered a program where I could fulfill a lot of my Spanish major, Communication major, and Education minor requirements. It is incredibly important to find a program that offers enough classes to take for two whole semesters and fulfills enough academic requirements so that you are able to graduate on time.  

Another reason that I am glad I decided to go for two semesters instead of one is that I had an additional semester to explore and learn. Being abroad for one semester can feel like a whirlwind because you are exposed to so many things at once, so I think by going for two semesters, I was able to enjoy the experience of living there more. The additional semester allowed me to explore Sevilla, interact with locals, spend more time with my host family, have time to travel to other countries, and do everything I didn’t get a chance to do during the first semester. The first semester felt like an introduction and adjustment but during the second semester, I was a lot more confident and comfortable. I had the opportunity to tutor my professor’s nieces and nephew in English, which I wouldn’t have been able to do had I not returned for the second semester. It was a great experience being able to interact with a family outside of my host family and talk in Spanish and English with them. 

I think one of the biggest takeaways from my experience is the importance of preparation. If there is one piece of advice that you take away from my blog post, is to start the visa process as EARLY as possible! Even if you are only going for one semester, the visa process is a challenge, it is even more of a process for two semesters (but don’t let this deter you from going for two semesters, it will be worth it, I promise!). Another lesson that I learned from my experience is to say ‘yes’ more often. Instead of staying in to watch Netflix (you can do this in the U.S.), go out and explore! Go get a haircut, get your nails done, go to the gym, explore the clubs at your university, go to concerts, do homework at a local cafe, interactions like these will teach you so much. 

I also highly recommend living with a host family, especially if you are doing two semesters abroad. I was able to become very close with my host family and I will always cherish the memories and time I spent with them. Living with a host family is a great opportunity to speak in Spanish as often as possible, get some insider tips about navigating the city, and develop a relationship with a family that someday you can return to and visit.  If you have the opportunity to go abroad for a year, do it! A semester may seem like a long time, but it goes by so fast, and by the end, you will be happy that you decided on a year.  When I was sent back to the United States in March because of the pandemic, I was disappointed I didn’t get to finish the entire academic year in Spain, but I was grateful for the time I had there. It was heartbreaking leaving a city I called my home so suddenly. No matter what, Sevilla will always be on my mind and I am thankful for the time I was able to spend there and the opportunity that I had to immerse myself in its culture. The experience I had while abroad for the year was truly invaluable.