Do a Dual Degree

In my experience, many people outside of UMass are incredibly unfamiliar with the term “dual degree” and it does not hold much significance to them. However, it is an underrated opportunity that UMass provides to all of its students and it deserves more recognition and promotion than the school currently provides. Dual degree is different from a double major in that you can actually receive two separate degrees from two separate colleges simultaneously, rather than one degree with a primary and secondary major. I found this opportunity by doing some research on my own, I was never actually formally introduced to pursuing a dual degree by any teacher, classmate, or even advisor, which is quite disappointing because I might have missed out if I had not found out these details by myself. 

Clearly I did not enter college with any intentions on completing two degrees at once because I had no idea about dual degrees until the beginning of my sophomore year at UMass. It was sort of a surprise that just so happened to be incredibly convenient for myself. In high school I took a few AP classes that earned me college credits for most of my GenEd courses. I only took these classes and tests because I was interested in these subjects, not because I anticipated gaining the college credits. Once I did receive the credits though, I realized I had a headstart on my academics. I was able to pass over pre-requisite courses so I began my Spanish degree in my first semester at UMass and have only one class left to complete with three semesters left until graduation. I also gained credit for Sociology prerequisites and have just a few courses left until I complete that degree as well. Taking AP courses was a privilege that got me ahead in my college requirements and has allowed me to gain even more credits in a shorter period of time, allowing me to complete two degrees simultaneously. Along with the fact that I have taken the maximum amount of credits, or close to that, for each of my semesters here at UMass in order to get the necessary one hundred and fifty credits to graduate with a dual degree during my time here. Studying abroad during the summer also provided me with a boost on Spanish credits because I gained an extra nine credits outside of the regular spring and fall semesters. 

A dual degree is beneficial if it works with your programs, your timeline of academics, and your own personal goals. I never intended to pursue both a Spanish and Sociology degree, but the circumstances allowed for me to, so I aspire to take advantage of this opportunity. As well as spread awareness to newer college students because it is a fantastic opportunity. I am trying to make the most of my college experience and I find pursuing two degrees at once for the same cost and time as a single degree to be one of the best ways to do this.