Summer Study Abroad

When I came to UMass I had every intention to study abroad. I had no idea where or when I wanted to go, but I knew it would be to a Spanish-speaking country and that I would not let it come too far into my college career because I was itching to travel. Sure enough, in my first Spanish class of my freshman year, Patricia Gubitosi came to advertise the summer program to Salamanca, Spain and I instantly became obsessed with the idea of participating the following summer. So when the spring came, I applied and figured out the financials with my family and the International Programs Office and officially signed onto the trip. 

Before getting introduced to this program, I had never even thought about spending the summer (or winter!) studying abroad but I am so thankful that I did. The benefits to a summer study abroad experience include not having to disappear from UMass for a traditional semester, leaving your friends, work, and classmates behind. If you have already found your people, or at least some of your people, at UMass, you do not have to miss out on the opportunity to spend the academic year with them. Also, I did not miss out on the UMass curriculum that is required for my major. Most students have to wait until their junior or senior year to travel because their academic path is not compatible with study abroad, but with a summer program that is no issue. Because of this, I was able to start traveling before my sophomore year even began. 

Of course with the benefits come the disadvantages. Not all summer programs are the same, but I found that the Salamanca program was far too short for a proper study abroad experience. It was only at the end of my stay that I just began to fully navigate myself through the city, determine my favorite restaurants, and sunset spots. With just four weeks in Spain, I did not feel ready to leave. Another disadvantage to this summer program is that at some points it began to feel like a field trip for adults. While it was amazing to have the convenience of activities and weekend getaways already planned for the group, it also made it feel less immersive. Oftentimes we travelled as a group of about forty people with bags on buses and chaperones in the back. It was so nice to have guides and it taught me a lot about the country, but I felt like a child during the program activities. It was not until my roommate and I snuck out late at night to explore Salamanca ourselves that I really felt connected to the city.

I cannot speak on all summer programs because they are all so unique, but there are some common qualities that can make or break the experience. Summer and winter programs are overlooked because they are not the traditional study abroad experience. But I desire for everything to be nontraditional, so it worked out for me.