~ Reflect, reflect, reflect!! ~

If you take anything from this blog post, let it be the quote: “We do not learn from experience… we learn from reflecting on experience.” 

While we have a class before we study abroad to help us prepare and one after to help us reflect (Spanish 394Pl Prep Programs/ Spanish Speaking World and 494 Rl Reflection/Experience Abroad), it is important to be reflecting DURING our experience abroad as well. This is solely up to you, but here are some questions you might want to ask yourself:

• What makes me feel uncomfortable? Are there any things that bother me? What are some culture shocks?
  • What are some “good” and “bad” norms? Are they truly good or bad or perhaps simply different? Can you see both the benefits and flaws of this lifestyle as well as that of the culture back in your home country?
  • What have you learned about yourself? Did you have any responses or reactions that surprised you? What about how you were raised or where you grew up made you feel the way you do about certain things? After this experience abroad is there anything about yourself that you would like to change or reflect upon more?

By doing this, taking some time to reflect while in the midst of your time abroad, you can learn a lot about yourself, who you are and ways in which you might want to change. Additionally, you might learn about your own culture and gain insight into norms in your country versus the country in which you are studying abroad. While this may sound strange, one experience that I had coming from the US was feeling stressed about NOT having that much homework and most of all about my teachers and boss not being hard enough on me. Teachers often did not grade us on whether we did our readings which bothered me because if I was not held more accountable I would be more likely to slack off. Continuing off that, I volunteered as an assistant for an English teacher and I remember thinking how strange it was that she did not get upset with me for arriving late due to bus delays. This could have been due to the  more laid back nature of Costa Rica, however, there is also that possibility that she was simply happy that I was even there at all since she did not usually have native English-speaking assistants to help her. This situation made me realize something strange and interesting about myself which is that I really appreciate others being hard on me and holding me to what I consider decent standards because this pushes me to work harder and be a better and more motivated version of myself. 

So what will you discover about yourself? Reflect on these questions while you are abroad and you will find out! :)