Study Abroad in the Future.

When I was younger, I remember daydreaming about studying abroad and wondering what going to school in a different country would be like. However, now that I have the opportunity I’ve felt completely overwhelmed by the idea. I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go or if I even liked the idea of living in a foreign country for an extended period of time without anyone, I knew near me. I’m very much a home body and feel safe in what is familiar so for me it would be a very big step. However, part of the study abroad experience is to step out of you comfort zone, meet new people, and be independent.

After a while of thinking how to have a fulfilling study abroad experience in a way that made me feel more comfortable, I finally produced a solution that worked for me. I’m a fist generation Uruguayan American and most of my family; grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins all live there. I’ve only gotten to see my family once before, so I thought living in Uruguay for 3 months or so would be nice not only to get a study abroad experience but also to be able to spend time with my family. However, I do still want to step out of comfort zone and have an experience without depending entirely on my family, but I feel much safe knowing I have a home base nearby. I think this will be helpful for my first time going abroad because it will help me feel more comfortable traveling alone in the future which is something I hope to do.

The next part is figuring out what University I would attend. I’m still doing research into exactly which one. But I already know that I will be doing direct enrollment with a university there. I’m currently a Film and Spanish double major and hope that I’ll be able to take classes that relate to both. I think that taking classes in another country will set me up with a new perspective on education and the topics I’m studying. I’m very excited about this experience and I’m sure it’ll be everything I hope it’ll be.