Why study a foreign language?

Many people are confused when I tell them that I chose to study Spanish as my primary major at UMass. The majority of my peers question what successful careers I could possibly qualify for through a degree in a foreign language. The answer? In comparison to some of the experiences I have heard about from my friends in other majors, the bonds that a foreign language concentration allows you to make in both academic and personal realms of life are limitless and bounding. Throughout my time studying Spanish at UMass, I have accumulated several high-demand certifications, resume-building life experiences, strong academic and personal relationships, and have been fortunate enough to travel the world.

I had the opportunity to study abroad twice during my studies, once during a summer semester in high school and another time this past summer, 2022. Both times I traveled to Madrid, but both excursions were very different from each other. The first time, I lived with a very religious and community oriented host family. I soaked in the true Spaniard lifestyle: working with my family in their local volunteer pursuits, finding time for both play and study, and forming some of the strongest relationships I have ever had in the loving community.

This past summer, I lived in Madrid in my own apartment with a bunch of other international students as well as my direct peers from the University of Minnesota program that I traveled with. This was great as I now know people from around the globe from this living situation. I took two classes at the Fundación José Ortega y Gasset Gregorio Marañón – FOM, and also held a research position in the Hospital Nacional de Paraplejicos in Toledo. Psychology is my other major- my knowledge of the Spanish language allowed for me to comfortably travel abroad and explore a plethora of alternate academic studies in a completely different country. My role included the responsibilities of performing investigator trials to improve the diagnosis of symptoms in the course of rehabilitation in the hospital and at home, allowing for the testing of standard and new treatment strategies in collaboration with specialized medical staff, as well as collecting and analyzing data using neurological assessments of sensorimotor function (isometric and isokinetic muscle force) and pain psychophysics (conditioned pain modulation with electroencephalography tests). I became well versed in IBM SPSS Statistics, Microsoft Excel, statistical data analysis and management, and developed a greater understanding of human physiology. It was an incredible experience for my careers in both Spanish and Psychology, and spurred interest in potential careers in data analysis. This very specific outcome is something that I would not likely have been able to achieve in the United States- being able to practice my Spanish and learn more about my other passions all under the umbrella of a completely different culture of a foreign country was priceless. The research that I conducted and applied is now being used to treat patients in that hospital this fall, and will eventually be published information that can be used around the world.

Traveling changes people. It sounds cheesy, but it’s true. The first time in Spain with my Catholic host family sparked an interest in religion that I had not ever experienced before. Moving away from home allowed for the pioneering moment where I saw first-hand how beneficial knowing a second language can be in forming strong interpersonal connections. I grew in confidence, in my language abilities and academic capacity, and recognized the blossoming of my independence as it occurred rapidly in those months. During my time this past summer, I was also able to travel a lot and explore different European countries. More importantly, I was able to forge some sense of community on my own in the city, which was priceless. I adopted a routine where I would see the same people over and over at my favorite local coffee shop and my favorite bar and club, at church on Sundays, in the hot yoga classes I attended, and on the metro on my way to work or class each morning. Creating a new life and a new sense of comfort abroad was an amazing feeling.

Besides what I have encountered abroad, studying Spanish has opened me up to many opportunities within my home country. After achieving my certification in Translation and interpretation for Spanish and English as well as my Massachusetts Seal of Biliteracy, I have embarked on translation work experiences that have made me a more competitive candidate for many job positions and internship opportunities. Last spring, I worked as a translator for OneHolyoke Community Development Corporation. After showing my resilience and strong work ethic, this translating position within the community development group eventually expanded into a position where I was invited to collaborate with higher-up individuals in the company on community development events in Western Massachusetts. I learned so much about leadership and community building through this translation opportunity, and was eventually offered a paid position as a head intern for community event planning and coordination.

More recently, I worked as a translator for a PhotoVideo immigration project that focused on the stories of 17 Colombian immigrants. I translated more than 200 hours worth of text, and this work is now on display in the Colombian consulate in New York City. Through this translation position, I was able to make so many connections to the legal studies and political science departments at UMass, which I otherwise would not likely have been able to do as a psychology and Spanish major. These language skills that you build as a Spanish major truly do allow for better networking, and make you a better candidate for jobs than someone who does not have your skills.

Given all of the benefits and payouts of studying a language that I have listed, I have no regrets after choosing Spanish as my primary major. People usually redact their concerns over choosing such a career path after they hear of the countless achievements that this decision has granted me. Without my studies abroad, I would not have as strong a sense of individualism, nor would I have found out that data analytics is my passion had I not worked in that lab in Spain. Without my work in translation, I would not have nearly as many interconnections or work experiences to prop up my confidence in the real world.

To anyone who doesn’t know what they want to study in college, or what they want to do with their lives, I’d say – start with studying a language: it is a priceless skill, and it won’t do anything but help expand your possibilities and world scope. I myself would eventually like to learn at least one other language and live abroad there for a bit alone. At the moment, I am teaching myself Polish. I am not that great at it yet, but if I have learned anything from being a Spanish major it is that the perseverance of learning a language will eventually break down barriers and allow so many more opportunities and connections to enter your life.