Spanish as Part of My Ethnic Identity

My perceptions of the Spanish-speaking world have changed a lot these past years as a Spanish major. When I decided to major in Spanish, I thought most of my classes would have been focused on grammar and the language itself, however, I have taken so many classes around culture, literature, and history.

I grew up speaking only Spanish at home – my family is Salvadoran, so at home I would be exposed to my Salvadoran heritage and culture. Therefore, I’m a Spanish heritage speaker. I can speak, understand, read and write in Spanish, but I struggle with grammar because I was never taught that in school the way I learned English. Because of this, many Hispanic/Latinx students may be exposed more to the English language than their Spanish heritage language. They are taught to read, write, and orally communicate in English in school and public areas, whereas in Spanish, they may only acquire it from family at home, other relatives, and maybe friends.

This is what influenced me to major in Spanish as it is part of my own ethnic identity. Little did I know that my perceptions of the Spanish-speaking world would change this much–I have learned more about other Latinx cultures aside from my own. When I studied abroad in Spain this past summer, I was immersed in a culture where they speak the same language, but with a different dialect and culture. I know many words and expressions that Salvadorans use, but now I have been exposed to so many other Spanish dialects that I have loved learning about. Being in college, I have met so many individuals from different Spanish-speaking countries and I have learned so much from them–their dialects, customs, and traditions. This has made me want to continue to engage and learn from the Spanish-speaking world.

More and more Hispanic/Latinx students have been attending public schools in the United States, which means that there is an increasing need for trained Spanish teachers to work with Spanish heritage speaking students. Deciding to double major in Spanish and Community Education & Social Change has really impacted the way I view the language, my community, and myself. Furthermore, I have learned that when heritage speakers have a limited foundation in Spanish literacy, they often encounter difficulties in acquiring fundamental skills in English–which is necessary for pursuing a higher education in America. Proficiency and literacy in Spanish at advanced levels are crucial factors that influence academic success and achievement. Thus, heritage speakers with high proficiencies in their first language are likely to acquire higher levels of conceptual abilities in their second language. Fluency in two languages is a significant advantage, as it enables individuals to expand on their cognitive abilities. This expansion of abilities will allow Hispanic/Latinx students to succeed academically and pursue advanced education.

Spanish heritage speakers tend to struggle with language anxiety in and outside of the Spanish classroom because of their low proficiency levels; this is due to limited opportunities to practice Spanish in the community and in educational settings. Teachers who have awareness of Spanish cultural dialects will be able to properly educate Spanish to heritage speakers. As a future educator, I hope to help other heritage speakers who may have the same experience. Majoring in Spanish has created a sense of community for me, as the Spanish language and my Salvadoran culture are a big part of my ethnic identity.