“Classes I took in San Sebastian improved my Spanish but also changed my notions about the value of education”

We asked James K. to answer our questionnaire. He told us about his experiences taking classes with Spanish college students and meeting new people while biking in Northern Spain.

How did you choose your study abroad destination? What attracted you from that program, city, and country?
I chose to study abroad in San Sebastián mostly by chance, and I am so grateful that I did. Originally, I wanted to improve my Spanish and travel by bicycle in other parts of Europe, so northern Spain made sense geographically. Then I found the Basque Country and loved the idea of trying to learn three languages at once (Spanish, Basque and French) in a region culturally distinct from the rest of Spain. The USAC program in San Sebastián offered language and Anthropology classes that were a perfect match, and the program was also more affordable for me than a semester at UMass. Looking at pictures and a map, San Sebastián seemed to be a beautiful city full of bikes, trees, and people where the mountains meet the sea.

How did the courses you took abroad fit into your academic path? Which courses were your favorites?
As a student of Spanish and Anthropology, the courses I took were exceptionally helpful, informative and applicable. They were all smaller, more intensive classes than I have experienced in the past, and this not only improved my Spanish but also changed my notions about the value of education. These classes were challenging in a way that encouraged me to learn.
One course in particular, an Anthropology class I took in Spanish with local students at the host university, Universidad del País Vasco, allowed me to design and conduct my own anthropology project – I was studying traces of ancient Basque rituals and beliefs in the modern world. I did this through interviews and work with Basque farmers, herbalists and shepherds, among other rural people. Our discussions in class about methods and ideas helped guide my investigation, translating theory into practice.

Where did you live while studying abroad? What would you remark from that experience?
I find myself having two answers to this question. First, in San Sebastián, I lived with a host family in an apartment building in the neighborhood of Amara. My host mom was incredibly helpful and welcoming, and her relatives would all come over for lunch on weekends. Out my window, I could see other buildings, gardens and kids playing in the park below. Second, I brought my bike with me to Europe, and I used it nearly every day. As my means of transportation to school, exploring outside the city and traveling after my program ended, I came to think of my bike as my home base, and the world as my home.

What did you do in your spare time? What activities did you like?
Some days I would play basketball at the park or go swimming at the beach. Mostly though, I spent my spare time biking and exploring the Basque Country. On weekends or days off, I would go up into the foothills of the Pyrenees or follow the coast and make friends with those who I met along the way. Since it was Fall, I kept finding fruit everywhere, black raspberry bushes, a pomegranate tree and countless ripe figs! I also spent each Tuesday afternoon biking to a family farm in the small town of Aginaga where I helped pick apples, beans, lettuce, tomatoes and more apples in exchange exchange for fresh produce that was too small to sell (mostly apples – people love apples in the Basque Country!)

What advice would you give to a student considering studying abroad in this program?
Definitely worth doing! San Sebastián is a city I dreamed of before I knew it existed. If you go through this program, find your own niche outside of class, not just the study abroad bubble. Whenever you can, immerse yourself in the local community. I found Basque people to be reserved but sincere, and if you learn as much of their language and customs as you can, you will find it much easier to connect with people and embrace their culture. One of the best ways to do this is through a USAC internship – I worked with La Asociación Mestiza, reading stories and playing with toddlers at the Cultural Centers of Donostia–which is the name of the city in Basque or Euskera. Mestiza and the other internship programs will be welcoming and appreciative of any enthusiastic interns. Build relationships with people and follow what you love. Studying abroad in San Sebastián can be an platform for experience and a vehicle for growth.