First CSA Distribution

Located in Belchertown, Stone Soup Farm sells most of its produce through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program in Belchertown, Leominster, Cambridge, and Boston. I purchased a half-share earlier this year, and as the winter dragged on and spring seemed slow to arrive, I thought longingly about the first harvest. Finally the day arrived, and this afternoon I picked up my bag of greens at the Farmer’s Market on the Town Common. Yay! Pickup will be on Thursday afternoons for the next 20 weeks, until the end of October. Here is a photo of the first week’s share:

Greens

I don’t even know what all these vegetables are. Of course I recognize the lettuces, zucchini, and summer squash, as well as the cilantro, but I haven’t a clue regarding those curly green things on the right or the big leafy things on the left.

[Update on Jun 22: I believe the “big leafy things” are stalks of kale, Brassica oleracea Acephala group, but the “curly green things” are still a mystery. I ate them anyway, in a stir-fry, which is the fallback cooking method for all weird or unknown vegetables.]

[Update on Jun 23: A colleague told me that the curly green things are garlic scapes, which are the flowering stems of the plant, edible when immature. Thank you, Bert! According to Wikipedia, garlic scapes are often harvested early so that the bulbs will grow bigger.]

One thought on “First CSA Distribution