Canoeing on the Quaboag

After a light lunch at my home, six of us headed for Brookfield and White’s Landing on the Quaboag River for an afternoon of canoeing. Our party included my older sister Debbie, her husband Al, their two daughters Amelia and Miranda, and Denise, a friend of Debbie’s from her college days. It was a warm summer day, with blue skies and puffy white clouds and only the barest hint that a late afternoon thunderstorm might be brewing.

We fitted ourselves with Personal Flotation Devices, listened to instructions on how to paddle and where to go, and then launched into the placid waters. From the Route 148 bridge, the river meanders northwest (two kayakers are visible on the right):

Quaboag 1

We chose to follow the river in the opposite direction: Miranda, Amelia, and Al set off toward the southeast in one canoe, while Denise, Debbie, and I followed in the second. I sat in the rear, but it quickly became apparent that this was not the right position for me. The person in the back is supposed to steer, and I have no feel for that at all. Our canoe zigzagged here and there and mostly ended up in the weeds on the shore — we went everywhere except forward. So Debbie and I carefully exchanged places, and we did much better when I sat in the front and provided most of the power.

Our destination was Quaboag Pond, also known as North Pond, which in turn is connected to Quacumquasit Lake, or South Pond. Here’s a view looking south:

Quaboag 2

We didn’t spot any of the bald eagles which inhabit this area, but we did see a number of the majestic great blue herons. On our return to the boat launch, the current was with us, but it seemed that the wind was against us. Nevertheless, both canoes made it back safely, and as we started for home, the sky darkened and the first drops of rain fell.