University of Massachusetts Amherst at 150

Those of you who are long-time readers of this blog might remember that two years ago I wrote a post about Founder’s Day, in which I mentioned that UMass would be celebrating its sesquicentennial in two years.  That day has arrived!  There’s been a barrage of publicity this year about this milestone, and I’ve enjoyed reading the timelines and pondering the numbers.  You should really take a look at the 150 Years section of the UMass website; there is some fascinating material here.  I don’t subscribe to the Boston Globe, which devoted a special section to the 150th, but I do receive the alumni magazine, which also devoted an issue to the 150 year history of the University.

Of course I RSVPd that I would attend the Founder’s Day picnic, which was held today on the lawn outside Goodell.  I went early, and the lines moved quickly.  People often mention the wait, but remember that they have to feed a huge crowd, and I think they manage quite well.  Of course this is not Michelin restaurant dining, but I thought the food was actually very tasty.  They made an effort to serve locally grown food, and there were vegetarian options, which is important to me.  As usual, I looked forward to the desserts:  cookies, cupcakes, ice cream, and more.

I won’t be around for the 200th, but I’m sure the University will.  Go UMass!

Here’s a random sample of photos I took today:

UM-2013-1

Spring flowers bloom in front of the Student Union.

UM-2013-2

Students and staff enjoy a picnic lunch.

UM-2013-3

Isn’t this confectionery creation of Old Chapel amazing.

UM-2013-4

In honor of the anniversary, UMass is planting 150 trees around campus.