7 thoughts on “29. Monday, Nov. 16, 2009

1. chem111-mjknapp Post author

Yeah, H and He are probably best viewed as having only valence electrons.

I was not planning to send out detailed solutions to the book HW. But I could send solutions for the more challenging problems.

2. chem111-mjknapp Post author

Brittany,
    you’ve got the right idea! I think of it like this: only electrons in the valence shell participate in reactions. The valence shell is the highest-energy grouping of orbitals (usually ns and np, but sometimes including nd or (n-1)d). For example, the valence shell for S us usually viewed as the 3s and 3p subshells, but S can expand its octet due to the availability of the 3d subshell (slightly higher in energy, but still accessible). The valence shell for Fe is 4s and 3d subshells; the 4p subshell can also be used when bonding.

3. Thomas Carleton

Im almost positive that PRS is not discontinued. He said in class that it was only for that lecture that he didnt happen to have any PRS for it. Also, If im not mistaken evangelos is correct about the valence/core electrons of hydrogen and helium. hydrogen and helium dont have any outer shells.

4. Evangelos Souliotis

Professor,
    Are you going to send out detailed solutions for the book problems?

(And to try and help you out Brittany, if I’m not mistaken, it’s not that hydrogen and helium have only core electrons, it’s that they only have valence electrons since they only fill in the 1s orbital. Correct me if I’m wrong.)

5. Brittany Bausch

Hello Prof.
    This might sound stupid but I wanted to ask a stupid question. In the book it says that Core Elections are not involved in bonding or chemical reaction. But in the case of Hydrogen and Helium all they have is Core Electrons and they are used in chemical bonding. Is this an exception or did I just not understand the reading.

Thanks,
    Brittany Bausch