Just a chance that maybe we’ll find better days – J. LeNoble

Music is a drug.  It is a drug that powers us to be what we want to be, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.  It makes us happy, sad, angry, excited, it evokes emotion and affect within its listeners.  It talks to us, telling us that it’s ok to feel the way we feel, and we’re not alone.  Songs like “Father and Son,” by Cat Stevens, preach to teens and young adults about how it is okay to feel like you’re being held back.  It preaches a request for a movement to brake free of the chains of their parents.  And then you have songs like “Teach Your Children,” by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young that tell you to understand where your parents are coming from.  These songs of the 60s are all about breaking free and taking hold of your freedom.  “Ruby Tuesday,” by the Rolling Stones, was another ground breaking song that touched many young people of the time.  All of these songs either allowed people to set themselves free, or give the young people of the time something to aspire too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q29YR5-t3gg

In today’s time, I don’t think our music is as inspirational as some of the songs of my parent’s time.  I feel like we have become a lazy generation, accepting what is handed to us, and dealing with what we don’t believe in.  Fortunately there are some performers who still try to persuade their audiences to act for what they believe in.  “Better Days,” by the Goo Goo Dolls, is a plea that people will take action and make the world a better place.  Unfortunately, I don’t think many people take that idea out of the song.  “Live High,” by Jason Mraz is another song that is meant to make people think about their lives and how people live.  Are you living happy?  Are you living righteously?  These are some of the things that are focused on in the song, I don’t think it is a song meant to convince people to take drugs, which I’m sure many people get out of it.  I think music today is taken for granted, and it is extremely hard to find a song that can make an impact on the youth.