YouTube: A Musical Playground

I use YouTube mainly as a platform for exploring music. Whether I want to watch a newly released music video, an obscure live performance, or an amazing cover – YouTube has what I’m looking for.

I have always been fascinated by live musical performances and I love that YouTube offers a way for me to easily access essentially any live performance that has been recorded. On my “Top 15 Playlist” I’ve included several of my favorite live performances ranging from private sessions (Alt-J NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert) to intimate festival performances (Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros Fire+Water Live at Barton Springs Pool) to large stadium shows (Elias from DISPATCH: ZIMBABWE Live at MSG). By granting me access to recordings of these performances, YouTube allows me to explore and experience the work of my favorite artists uninhibited by what mainstream media chooses to publicize.

In addition to watching live musical performances by my favorite artists, I also love watching YouTube users cover my favorite songs. I think one of the most amazing things about YouTube is that it offers musicians a free forum through which they can share their talents. While most YouTube users who post covers remain within the realm of YouTube, some musicians find outside fame and success through their YouTube channels.

Guitarist Sungha Jung who grew popular though YouTube has now released several albums and performs with world famous musicians. I’ve included his cover of the Beatle’s “Come Together” on my “Top 15 Playlist.”

Here, he preforms “I’m Yours” with Jason Mraz.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MycEFlLDOkY[/youtube]

The few YouTube musicians who do escape the YouTube realm act both as an inspiration to other YouTube musicians and as a testament to YouTube’s power of providing musicians the opportunity to reach a world-wide audience from their bedrooms.

Personally, YouTube has given me a space where I can post my own musical covers and receive feedback on these covers from friends and family. As someone who fears singing in public, I have found YouTube particularly helpful because it offers a way for me to share my covers without actually having to preform in front of a live audience.

Since I don’t have many views, I’m going to shamelessly use this blog post to promote myself and my cover of Death Cab for Cutie’s “I Will Follow You Into the Dark.” You don’t have to listen but I’d appreciate if you would!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I4w2yxNFwg[/youtube]

While I spend most of my time on YouTube exploring music, I also use YouTube to work-out. Since I can’t always find Pilates classes that fit with my schedule, I use Cassey Ho’s “Blogilates” videos as part of my exercise regime. Instead of buying an instructional Pilates DVD with a limited number of work-out routines, YouTube gives Cassey Ho the ability to regularly post new videos which provides me constant free access to new work-out routines.

Aside from its practical uses, I am a huge fan of feel-good viral videos like “Where the Hell is Matt,” “The Sneezing Baby Panda,” and “Christian the Lion” all of which I’ve included on my “Top 15 Playlist.”

•    •    •

Check out my Top 15 Playlist on YouTube Here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPD9AcnQMIDHEfvRPGwdFibxxmu7cEzaO[/youtube]

8 thoughts on “YouTube: A Musical Playground

1. jwsander

Ah, music and feel-good videos. I love the Sneezing Baby Panda too; cheers me up when I have a bad day. Guess it means YouTube can be like a companion, too….
    Wow, I’m suddenly very lonely (googles panda videos).

Reply
  2. mzaritsky

You have a beautiful voice!! I loved your cover. I do agree with you though, it’s so cool seeing other people cover other songs. There’s just so much talent on YouTube.

Reply
  3. fbrookss

Something that’s interesting about the cover–>actual fame phenomenon is that mainstream ‘curators’ of fame (producers, agencies, etc.) still have a very strong say in who makes it, musicianship aside. For example Sungha Jung, who is an amazing guitarist, probably wouldn’t have been able to break out of Youtube if he weren’t attractive (which he is) and possessing of a certain level of charisma.

Reply
  4. mksulliv

I love covers as I’ve mentioned in my post in some of my comments. I love the song you selected and your “shameless” promotion of your own cover. Good for you, promote it cause it’s awesome!

Reply
  5. cwkent

Music and working out…definitely a great way to use YouTube! I’ve stumbled upon some pretty good workouts on there myself!

Reply
  6. mmcavoy

I’ve never seen the Christian the lion video before and that was so adorable! I also love how youtube has a ton of covering musicians on it, it’s amazing how many musically talented people there are out there. Also not excluding your cover, you have an great voice and are very talented!!

Reply
  7. nblackwo

Your Youtube playlist is similar to mine, I love using Youtube for a variety of music. It’s good to know someone else uses it the same way! I thought I was the only one not into webseries and podcasts.

Reply
  8. rmasters

YouTube has produced an amazing amount of talent. It is now easier than ever to showcase your talent; who knows if Sungha Jung would have been as successful without YouTube’s support.

Reply