MyTube: My Personal YouTube Playlist

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVMXi597-j_sT8IrCAIP2MmYqffyjdpo4[/youtube]

Along with ESPN and Reddit, YouTube is among my most visited websites. Although I don’t follow any particular channels extensively, YouTube allows me to view music videos, feature-length films, trailers and gameplay for upcoming games, as well as an assortment of other content. Often I find myself stuck in a “YouTube Loop,” watching an endless chain of ridiculous 30 second clips. The video Going To The Store can be described as one of these short, ridiculous videos. The first YouTuber I remember watching consistently was “Ronald Jenkees.” Ronald is a musician who is known for his energetic keyboard performances; he has produced three albums with a fourth set to debut in 2014. YouTube musicians including Ronald Jenkees, Madeon, and Funtwo have found success in large part because of their vocal fans; Madeon being invited to play Coachella, Lollapalooza, and Electric Daisy. While using YouTube to follow amateur YouTube musicians, I also use YouTube to listen to my favorite artists; including artists like the Foo Fighters, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and A Tribe Called Quest.

While I do have a channel, I neither upload my own videos nor post comments; my channel instead allows me to stay up to date with content creators whom I have subscribed to. Whether I’m feeling nostalgic and want to watch Spongebob Squarepants or Drake & Josh, YouTube offers ‘best of’ lists, mashups, and sometimes even full episodes. Often I find myself revisiting TV shows from my childhood, laughing hysterically at the same dumb jokes.The majority of the time the videos I view are linked through other sites including Reddit, SlashFilm, and Yahoo! These videos may be anything from breaking news, to ‘epic fails.’

YouTube is also an amazing source of information providing cooking and music lessons, math tutors, documentaries, and even live coverage of events including the 2012 Presidential Election. Sometimes I would find myself referring to YouTube when stuck in a particularly hard part of a video game. The video Four Days In October documents the historic comeback of the 2004 Red Sox to beat the Yankees in the ALCS. Since I was only a toddler at the time, I also added the iconic player entrances for the Michael Jordan era Chicago Bulls. During the Arab Spring, I would often check YouTube for updates on the protest.

YouTube allows me the opportunity to revisit the past, laughing alongside Richard Pryor or sitting next to Johnny Carson. Being able to ‘like’ or comment on someones post allows YouTube users to form connections. While the YouTube community has been known to foster hostility, finding others who share similar interests can be comforting; sometimes this can simply be someone commenting positively on your favorite song. My top 15 also included a Linkin Park and Psy mashup, an especially bad rendition of the national anthem, a deleted scene from Borat, and a bit from Patton Oswalt’s standup special Werewolves and Lollipops. YouTube allows me to try before I buy; whether that is listening to a certain song or watching gameplay of a recently released game.

6 thoughts on “MyTube: My Personal YouTube Playlist

1. jdrooney

I liked that you mentioned the tutorial portion of YouTube. I didn’t even think about how often I use YouTube to learn just about anything that I need to learn whether school related or not. I also thought your “try before I buy” point was interesting and accurate – I pretty much always use YouTube to listen to albums or songs before I purchase them.

Reply
  2. jwsander

I’m not a Redditor, but I can see how it’d constantly lead you back to YouTube. It truly is the go-to video embedding site.
    Never really used YouTube as a way to keep up with news; how’d you go about searching for that?

Reply
  3. mzaritsky

I agree with you, it’s so much fun looking back at sports moments on youtube. Especially the ALCS game, it really brings you back to the moment.

Reply
  4. mksulliv

I like how you mentioned the community that YouTube builds. Above all else, I think the music community on YouTube is strongest, which you sort of mentioned. Say you listen to your favorite song and you comment on it, like you said, something positive about the track and/or artist. Another user could come along (who clearly already shares a similar taste in music as you if they are listening to the song) and recommend another artist, song, or channel you may like. This creates connections on the internet that are founded in something very important to many people — music. This is an awesome opportunity that YouTube uniquely provides.

Reply
  5. nblackwo

I use Youtube to try before I buy as well. I think it is great that you are able to listen to music on Youtube before committing to buying it. Also, I’m a big fan of Spongebob and I sometimes use Youtube to find funny clips to send to my friends, they have almost every one I remember from when I was younger, it really is great.

Reply
  6. cparham

I love the second video in your playlist! It’s so disturbing and funny! I wonder if it was made with stop motion or if it was animated on with a computer. Either way, it’s a wonderful illustration of the kind of thing you end up watching on Youtube.

Reply