YouTube: All This and Only Some of That

Youtube is probably the most used website on my browser next to Facebook and Twitter. It’s the go-to site when everything else seems less inspiring or if I need a distraction and have wifi. I think it’s pretty interesting that about six years ago using the term “youtubing” was foreign on my tongue, but now it slips out as easily as “googling” does instead of searching. The term shows up in urban dictionary as a site that started this month seven years ago, it’s crazy to think that that’s how long we’ve been using this platform. It really changed how we connected to one another and like google had the ability to give us what we want in video form. Now, that it’s under Google though there’s this underlying ominous presences I can’t seem to pinpoint. I think thanks to much of the negative hype I’ve been crippled from using any one platform extensively if it’s plugged into the Google account somehow. Yet, I don’t exactly know what it is I should be afraid of. It’s kind of one of those “I just won’t enter territories” where I find myself trying to just dodge anything that can possibly be harmful on a trial and error method. It’s kind of sketchy, but it’s how I’ll tread lightly in accepting policies, use what I want, but hopefully won’t give more than that.

These days YouTube acts as my personal music player more than a video player. This means my recent history will list a few songs with lyric videos. If I ever do watch something it’s often instrument covers of songs I like or something under the umbrella of comedy. I’m also part of fan culture so I find fancams (fan videos) of events I never went to and enjoy a few minutes of them. I guess there’s so much to do with YouTube and an overwhelming list of it, but after the switch to Google I feel that using it more than puts me off trying to create my own videos or recordings. It’s a big platform that does run on popularity, sometimes it takes a couple of years for a video to finally make it a million views. Since everything is always changing and those “lost” videos will sit around until they become relevant again, but how would they be viewed differently in the future context? Will it even mean the same thing? I think about my friends who have recently started blogging about their lives abroad or their current fashion hauls and their finely made videos. They only get a hundred or so videos, but throw out names like nigahiga or domics and you know who they are and how their views are about a thousand a day at the least. There’s a disadvantage there. When we talk about monetizing and the minimal requirement of a certain viewership it sounds rather discouraging. I’ve started to notice how different youtube faces have been making cameos in other youtubers’ videos. My own friends have linked their accounts to other I can see how it feels rather elitist from the outside looking in. It’s a group of people with the same goals, bringing each other’s names up while hoping their audience grows and implements other groups of people, all with the goal of making $$$. I guess that moral is if it works, use it and exploit it.

And end scene.

Here’s my 15 videos playlist where I drop in some of my high rewatch value videos including: my favorite music videos, fanmade video of a dancer I like, my friend vlogging about Universal Japan and the Attack on Titans section, and a Korean movie that I had watched recently. They’re in no particular order, but I’d say as far as it goes it gives a good scope of what most people use YouTube for and how I’ve taken a personal touch on it. It was actually a bit of a cruncher because I hardly think of what I watch, but witht he change of perspective I wonder what sorts of data Google has on me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0BdnO5Pn-o3yxjUkeg0w_bq4CqcA3wzy[/youtube]