Are TV shows really present in your life?!

Samantha McGarry

4/9/15

Blog Post #6

How is TV in your life?

“The way in which I have approached television here is to think of television as a figure (or perhaps more like a kind of fugue state?) in the cultural imagination. Although the meaning associated with television continue to circulate and change, understanding television as part of the contemporary cultural imagination also allows us to see TV not just through televisual representations, nor just through its industries (which include everything from satellite and cable to advertising to set repair), nor just as a medium of representation that sometimes goes by the name video, nor just a set of historical objects, texts and technologies” (Murphy 6).

The question, How is TV in your life? was presented in class. I started to think about how present TV really is in my life, even after determining that TV may not be so present in our everyday college life. However, I really started to analysis how TV has shaped and impacted my views, morals and how I deal with situations. One Tree Hill was my bible during my pre-teens. I lived, breathed and watched every episode from every season… I know every episode and probably every word. I was impacted by this show tremendously because I started to learn about emotions and how other pre-teens react to situations (in an overly dramatic way).

images

I thought back to when One Tree Hill was part of my everyday life when we discussed this question. I also thought about how when I am home, my mom and I use television and our TV shows as a time to get together and sit and gaga over the dramas in Nashville or Scandal or even Grey’s Anatomy. My mom and I always talk about the new episode of our shows and use those shows as a source of bonding. I also use shows like Pretty Little Liars as a source of bonding with my friends. We would all sit around and talk about what happened, what we think will happen next, or how we wish we could find the clothes those actors were wearing in stores.

TV shows have always been in my life. I think TV shows will continue to be in my life as a source of relaxing on a Thursday nights at 9pm or how I keep connected with friends from college and home. I really love TV whether it is on live or on Netflix. It has always been a way for me to relax and unwind or a way to connect with friends and family. I think TV will be more present in my life once I graduate rather than here in college and truthfully I am okay with that. I think TV shows teaches people life lessons and gives society a type of relating to a character. I think TV shows are an important part of society and new media because without it how would we know what really happens in the Oval Office (Scandal joke…).

download (1)