YouTube and My Top 15

YouTube. Man, I have spent my fair share of time on YouTube. People talk about binging on Netflix, and I’ve done that as well, but binging on YouTube is even more dangerous. I always think, “Oh, just one more three minute video doesn’t matter.” And then it’s four in the morning.

I haven’t done that in awhile, but its one of the unique things about YouTube which I love. You can go on to watch one video, and the relevant videos listed on the side go on and on into eternity. I always wonder why people decided to make and upload most of the videos on there… Like, why did you decide to review a pair of sneakers? Do you work for Nike? Or, why did you film yourself taking your new IPhone out of its box? Did you not see that there were already 200 other unboxing videos uploaded since the latest IPhone came out ten minutes ago?

At many times in my life these seemingly pointless videos have been very helpful. I like to do as much of the work on my own car as I can, and there are videos on YouTube for just about every repair/customization on just about every model of every car. There are how-to videos for every single craft and skill you can possibly imagine. And if you want to learn in depth about any subject ever studied on the planet earth then you can access the foremost experts and the most ignorant idiots, all with the click of a button. It truly is amazing how often you can find a video of exactly what you’re looking for on YouTube.

Much of the time, this means a song I or someone else wants to hear. It’s honestly bizarre how easy it is to find legitimately any song ever created with a simple search. Who took the time to convert a record to mp3, make a video, and upload tracks from a 1950s album that no one has ever heard of and only ever sold in one store in Vancouver??
Whoever does it, I am grateful to you, because I have countless memories of going back and forth with friends on YouTube taking turns finding songs and jamming out.

YouTube has helped me practically, and provided many hours of good tunes, but most importantly it has entertained my family, friends and I endlessly. Whether you want to watch the worst snowboarding wipeouts or every single stand-up performance ever recorded by the late Robin Williams, it is available. Some of my favorite memories of family get-togethers have been when we have so called “YouTube nights.” Basically, everyone drinks alcohol while anyone plays anything they’ve seen that’s worth watching for as long as people can keep coming up with videos. It always ends with my Dad and Uncle crying in laughter.

In conclusion, YouTube is an amazing tool that I am grateful for. That being said, it is best consumed in moderation, like all things. It will be interesting to see how YouTube evolves in the coming years. Enjoy my top 15!

-Ryan Frawley