A Birthday Seminar

On August 8 — my birthday! — I gave a talk at a seminar series organized by Sanjay Mehrotra, a professor at Northwestern University who directs the Center for Engineering and Health.

It’s hard to listen to someone talk on video for over an hour, so I don’t expect anyone — except those doing very similar work — to actually watch the entire talk. And the theme is rather sobering: patterns among patients in the United States who have multiple chronic conditions.

Still, those of you — friends, colleagues, family members, current and prospective students — who are here can get a glimpse of how I look and communicate my ideas. I myself learned from watching the recording that I wave my hands a lot when trying to explain something (it’s as if the whole body moves in the effort to communicate a concept); that I seem to be quite excited, often speaking too fast; that my accent and intonation is very American now, maybe irreversibly so (at one time, Indians who developed an American accent used to bother me; now I am one of them).

Skip through the video to enjoy such extraneous but juicy details!