The Debrief is the Target

At our school the learning objective for a class is called the learning target. One year our instructional guide printed little stickers that said “The Debrief is the Target.” At our school every lesson is supposed to have a debrief.

The debrief is a 5-10 minute wrap-up of the lesson. Whatever I hoped students learned that day, I need to refocus attention on the objective. There are many strategies to make this happen. I might just have a ticket to leave so I can what progress each student made with the learning target. I could ask students to hold up 1, 2, or 3 fingers to indicate their self-assessed proficiency. I might ask a student to teach the class using their work as an example. I might cold call to reemphasize key points from class. I could ask students to discuss a few questions with one another and then randomly select a few students to report out.

The important thing about debriefs is that the debrief is the target. Class should end in an orderly way by revisiting the main points of the class so that students have a chance to synthesize what happened in class.