Being the Alumni Liason – Max at UMass Inclusive Learning

Hi I am Max Callahan. I grew up in the area of Amherst. I used to be a student in the UMass MAICEI program. After I graduated, I became the first Alumni Liaison for UMass Inclusive Learning.

In this role, I maintain relationships with MAICEI alumni through the creation of an alumni database, emails, phone calls, and surveys. I also help organize UIL events and collaborate with peer mentors and UIL coworkers on projects. I am an advocate for people with disabilities and Autism.

My Job includes making a database with alumni information so that I can keep in touch with them. I create surveys for students who have been in the MAICEI program to see if they want to be a part of their community by watching movies and other activities with us.

During my time at UIL, I made a resource board for students who are in UIL and on the broader campus. These resources can included social and emotional supports that can help the Student feel more comfortable about them
I also was a facilitator for a support group for people with Autism to listen and give out resources to students when they have problems. Through this group I made friends with my peers and ended up meeting for lunch and doing arts and crafts. It made us feel more comfortable in UMass’s neurodivergent community

I co-facilitated Dialogue group in the fall of 2021. We talked about different social topics like prejudice and disability rights. I felt very proud of myself for the first time co-facilitating the Dialogue group.

I also made a survey for The Blue Envelope bill, a bill making interactions between police officers better between people

with Autism better. The bill would make it so a person with Autism can have information on a piece of paper that explains to a police officer how to approach the individual in a way they feel most comfortable. I met with Senator Comerford and Senator Keenan to educate them on why this bill was important. I sent out a survey asking law enforcement who have worked in different police departments about their experiences working with people with Autism. The survey asked how they could do better with interacting with a person with Autism if the interaction was negative.

I have also done tabling at UMass to recruit people to become Peer Mentors who support people with disabilities by going to the craft center or playing basketball with the students.

I feel very proud to be working with the UMass Inclusive Learning Center because I can help people with different Abilities. I always learn something new from working here!!