3 Pieces of Advice for Spanish Majors

keep-calm-and-learn-spanish-9

As I finish up the remaining weeks of my senior semester at UMass, I have taken time to reflect on my Spanish major. To reflect on what it has meant for me to be a second language learner and the interconnection between the world, communication and language learning. I have learned many things over the past 8 semesters and I want to share the three main points for students thinking about becoming a Spanish major, or who want to know what to expect the next few years of their lives. So I leave you with three important pieces to remember…

1. The Spanish major is not only for learning Spanish.

Too often I have come across students who have been disappointed in their language learning at the University. They come in with the idea that in two years they will be fluent in spanish and be ready to move to Spain for the rest of their lives. The spanish major is a multi faceted and dynamic approach to learning, not only spanish, but the literature, culture and history of the spanish speaking world. You will undoubtedly learn Spanish as a major but that is not the sole thing you will learn. You are going to open your eyes to countries and politics that never crossed your mind, and more importantly see that spanish can not be categorized but rather is a complex and integral world language.

2. Study abroad for a year.

I see students studying abroad for a few months in the summer or the winter and feel that they might be missing out on something important. Usually their main goal is to learn spanish and be integrated into the culture of the country they are visiting, but time limits them. I would recommend, from personal experience, studying abroad for a year. This is of course, is not completely accessible to all students, and there are many factors that students need to take into account, but for optimal language learning nothing compares to living in a spanish speaking country. I only studied abroad for a semester and it was my biggest regret at UMass because just was my spanish was getting smoother, faster and filled with the slang of Sevilla, it was time to leave. Not to mention, living in another country is the best education you will ever get! So, consider the benefits of a year abroad, it doesn’t even have to be in the same country but it will improve your spanish to the highest level possible.

3. Learn to speak up – even if you pronounce it wrong!

Too often as spanish majors we are fearful of speaking in class because we do not want to pronounce a word wrong or conjugate the verb incorrectly. Though, when we do this we miss out on actually practicing the language. Teachers are understanding of language learners, especially in the spanish department and will never yell at a student for pronouncing a word wrong. When you speak in class you not only help yourself improve spanish but you prove that you are willing to participate in class. Teachers love both of these things because it shows a student who is dedicated and willing to laugh off a mistake or is determined to fully incorporate Spanish. Tying this back to the study abroad , this is really the only atmosphere where spanish majors can  prepare for the world outside their major. In my personal journey I have found that teachers are extremely receptive to students trying to speak spanish and are never harsh and unwelcoming towards learning. They want us to speak spanish, they want us to learn and most importantly they want to help us get the most out of our major.

These are simply three personal reflections from my time as a spanish major. These may not apply for everyone but they can be very helpful for students coming into the major or trying to decide if spanish is the right major for them. It has been an integral part in my journey at the university and I feel prepared for the world outside of Umass and speaking spanish. A teacher of mine in the department had told me that “todo es parte de todo” and how true I have found that in my final weeks of class. Looking back everything connects whether you realized it at the time or not and these tips can help make your reflection, upon graduation, a positive one.

One thought on “3 Pieces of Advice for Spanish Majors

1. lucy

Such great advice! I was so shy around Spanish speakers who were advanced and the best advice I got was one that you mentioned; learn to speak up even if you pronounce it wrong. I have been living in Puerto Rico for the last eight years and there are many words I still can’t say correctly. There is always someone nice enough to correct me with out making me feel like I don’t know what I am saying. My partner is from Puerto Rico and he is always helping me with pronunciation. We are teaching our daughter two languages at the same time and it is amazing how she loves repeating the words over and over until she gets it right. Enjoy your journey as a bilingual person.

Reply