College Advice from a Busy Upperclassman

Every adult that has gone to college will say that the college years will be the best years of your life. “You will find yourself”, they say. And they’re right: you will, but you have to set clear goals and expectations for yourself in order to not get swept away in the riptide that is called college. Specifically UMass. Being a senior this year, I’ve begun to self-reflect on my experiences here at the Zoo. I’ve made many accomplishments and have made some mistakes. I have worked many campus jobs, and been a part of many campus organizations that have impacted me as a college student and person. There are things I found out this year that I wish I had known or done back in my freshman or sophomore year to save myself stress now in my senior year. But I’m a strong believer of learning lessons and passing on that wisdom to someone else who might find themselves in my shoes. So here is five tips that you might find useful during your time here at UMass:

1. Figure out your Academic Plan (Major, Minors, Certificates, etc.) Wisely and ASAP.

I came into college not knowing about majors. I didn’t even know I needed one. So I was undeclared for a while. After talking to my Peer Mentor, I decided to declare a major in the Portuguese and Spanish Department. This was the ideal choice I made during the time because I wanted solely focus on Education, but I soon grew to love my major. But it took almost a full year before I declared which didn’t leave me too much time left to get things done, especially because I wanted to minor in three different subjects. I was lucky I loved my options because this could have ended with me transferring to another university. So before declaring a major, you should have a big chat with someone or people you trust to help you figure this out wisely. Mainly people who will be honest and hear out your reasons for choosing a subject over another. Because although our parents or friends might want us all to be Lawyers or Doctors, not all of us will become that. If that’s what you want to do, then do so, but overall pick a major you will enjoy a future in. And if it turns out once you get into the core requirements that you don’t like the major, find another one before the end of your sophomore year. The longer you declare a major you enjoy, the longer it’ll take you to finish college. So set academic goals and plans as soon as possible.

2.  Have an Academic Support System.

I could not stress this more. Find your campus support group; people that will help you navigate your academics. For me, I wish I had met with my advisor(s) sooner, and took the time to map out my academic career sooner. That includes mapping out what classes to take, when to take them, and how many credits to take in the semester without completely stressing myself out. I also wished I had made more of an effort to connect with my Peer Mentor, RA’s, and campus resources like the Writing Center my freshman year. I only started using campus resources this year and in my junior year. So basically the point of this tip: go to those SI sessions, go to your RAs and Peer Mentors, Residential Directors, the Writing Center, even UHS, etc. But don’t forget that your parents and friends can also be a part of this academic support group. Just don’t let them make all of your decisions for you. And once you start connecting yourself to all of these resources, your college experiences will positively change.

3.  Time Management is Crucial!

Even upperclassmen struggle with this thing called managing your “time”. But if it’s something you get control of in the earlier stages of your college career, the better it’ll be for you. Learn to balance your time by finding ways to keep track of it like using a planner to physically write down your assignments from your class Syllabi (another crucial college tool). Or use a calendar to plan every hour of your schedule. I used a combination of visual schedules, phone calendars, daily/monthly planners to keep all my important dates in places where I wouldn’t forget them. But here’s the thing, it’s up for you to decide which option works best for you. If you need help figuring out which ones those are or how to balance your academic schedule with your social life, reach out to your support system.

4. Get involved on campus.

Getting involved on campus is not only to boost your resume, but it also can help you stay sane when academics are stressful. I strongly suggest you to go to a Student RSO activities fair because that’s when you can see all the campus groups in one place. You could possibly find your extra-curricular there. Or use social media! Join your specific classes Facebook group page because many activities will post there. Or keep an eye out for flyers on bulletin boards you can find in academic and residential halls. There’s so many options out there, you just have to keep an eye out for them.

5. Most Important Advice: Live your time here at UMass with no regrets.

Yes, for me there are things that I wish I had done, but they’re not regrets. Even with added stress or whatever UMass decided to throw at me, I found my place(s) here at UMass. And I couldn’t be happier with that. So, remember the first two sentences of this post. Make college the best four years of your life, because it only lasts for a while. So go make the best of it! You can do it!