Secondary Teacher Education Program (STEP): Tips and Warnings

This spring semester I will graduate with a dual degree in Linguistics and Spanish. Up until a few months ago I was also on the path to be a fully licensed high school Spanish teacher in the state of Massachusetts. As a member of the STEP in the Spanish department, lead by Carole Cloutier, I was educated in the intricacies of being a secondary school teacher along with advised on the tests and certifications I would need in order to legally teach in the state. At the end of this semester, the fall of my senior year, I finished just about every requirement needed to become fully licensed. However I am no longer a part of the STEP program. Here is why.

(Disclaimer: This is in no means intending on dissuading prospective students from applying to this program. It is an excellent option for students confident in their desires to become high school teacher right after graduation or soon after.)

After drastically changing my major from Biochemistry to a joint degree in Linguistics and Spanish, I started looking into what I needed to do to become a teacher. At the time that seemed like the only realistic career choice for a Spanish major and studying Linguistics was a dead end major, but I liked studying it and thought knowing the theories would help with teaching languages. During my sophomore year I stumbled upon the STEP program and quickly applied. After being initially accepted I started planning out my college career with my advisor, Carole Cloutier. It quickly became apparent that with all of the classes I had to complete for the program along with leaving my final semester open for just student teaching, I wouldn’t have time to study abroad for a semester or year.

I gave up my life long dream to study abroad for a year or two and committed to the STEP program. I finished the Massachusetts Teaching Licensure Tests, to an Oral Proficiency Test over the phone, wrote a research paper on language acquisition, wrote another paper on Hispanic culture and literature and completed 60 hours of student teaching to satisfy the pre-practicum requirements. I now have a preliminary teaching license in the state for five years. In order to become a fully licensed teacher I just need to complete my practicum and attain a Master’s degree in anything.

I am telling you all of this to explain all of the work that comes with the program and what you get from it. The warnings should be taken into account to avoid being like me and committing to the program when you are unsure if you want to teach. If you are on the fence, wait. You can always do your pre-practicum and practicum during your graduate career if you choose to teach. You’re going to have to go to graduate school if you’re going to teach regardless so it doesn’t hurt to put off the practicums.

Had I not done the program I would’ve graduated earlier and been able to study abroad for multiple semesters. I have now found many opportunities in Linguistics and intend on pursuing them after graduation.

2 thoughts on “Secondary Teacher Education Program (STEP): Tips and Warnings

1. Angelica

Hi!

I would love to hear more about your journey with STEP and more about how you could have graduated early.

Reply
    1. Brandyn Evora-Rosa

Hi Angelica,

I’d be happy to share. I joined the step program as a Linguistics and Spanish joint major, so I had to satisfy credits for both the Linguistics and Spanish majors. However I didn’t need to fulfill all of the requirements for both majors, more like 2/3 of each. As part of the STEP program I needed to fulfill all of the Spanish major requirements, take a few education courses and also do both the pre-practicum and practicum. The extra Spanish and education courses took up a lot of space in my schedule along with the pre-practicum. The pre-practicum required me to student teach at a local high school for 60hrs throughout a semester, and the practicum, which I didn’t end up doing, takes up almost a whole semester’s schedule. So by being a part of the STEP program I had to complete about three more semesters worth of credits, that I otherwise wouldn’t have taken. Had I not joined the STEP program I could’ve have graduated in 6 or 7 semesters instead of 8.

Although I decided to leave the STEP program following the pre-practicum, I definitely feel that I gained a lot from it. I got a lot of experience in the education field. I took an educational psychology class, a class on foreign language teaching methodologies, tutored various subjects at Amherst high school for a semester and also student taught there.

While I don’t think that I will end up being a high school Spanish teacher, I am actually taking steps right now to become TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certified so that I can teach English abroad as a means of finding work while traveling.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Reply