UMass green buildings = deep knowledge and passion

This guest blog post was written by Madeline Szczypinski, Green Building Researcher, Master’s of Architecture 2020

As a Masters of Architecture student, my interest in green buildings and LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) led me to my current position as the Green Building Researcher for Campus Planning under Facilities and Campus Services. Prior to my architectural pursuits, I received a Bachelor’s of Business Administration from Isenberg 2017.  This is my sixth year at UMass, yet I am continually surprised by the various and extensive efforts on campus. I had never heard of Talking Truth, and one of my first tasks was to assist with Green Building walking tour, part of the Talking Truth fall 2018 series.

I enjoy visiting and learning about all new buildings on campus regardless of major or use. I’ll walk into new buildings just so I can explore and see the interiors. What surprised me is how many other people were interested as well! Nearly 20 people attended the Green Building tour, some UMass affiliated and others from the greater Amherst community. Ludmilla Pavlova, Senior Campus Planner, led the tour. Sigrid Pollin Miller, architect and professor in the UMass Department of Architecture, joined us at our last stop to guide us through her very own creation, Crotty Hall. The collaboration between Talking Truth, Campus Planning and the Architecture Department provides an opportunity for people to engage with the deep knowledge and passion that fuels UMass and its green building efforts.

Watch for the next Green Building tour in Spring 2019!

mcharney

Reference Services Librarian, W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst. Liaision to Department of Landscape Architecture and Regional Planning, Stockbridge School of Agriculture, and Hillel.