Summer Work

Today marks the end of my first sit-down class at UMASS. Earlier in the summer I completed an online EDUC PSYCH course, but the past week I had a full time course that met Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm at UMASS. It was an immersive and intimate course, the six of us Teaching Fellows (TFs) and our six Mentor Teaching Fellows (MTFs). In sort of a survey fashion, we did readings, watched videos, completed activities, planned lessons, taught lessons, and most importantly got to know each other. Topics included whole class discussions, small group work, classroom norms, the mathematical work of teaching, growth mindsets, scaffolding, assessment, homework, and grading, to name a few. The purpose of this accelerated week long course is to “plant the seed” of all these different topics, then throughout the year we can see them grow.

Overall, it was an interesting and exciting week. Exchanging ideas with so many different math educators was refreshing, and it was reassuring to see a focus being placed on IBL. I am glad to be in the company of so many passionate and innovative teachers! That being said, the week flew by, and the first day of school is a little more than a week away! Right now I am still in denial, but I’m sure the nerves will kick in in the next few days. Luckily I have a great supportive MTF who I am excited to work with. We plan to meet at the school next week to start prepping.

My next post will probably be after the first day of school (August 30th), but please let me know in the comments if you have any questions or suggestions for the blog!