Mi latinidad and love for science

Hello! I am a student double majoring in Biochemistry and Spanish. I am also planning on getting the Spanish and Health Certificate offered at UMass. My spanish major relates greatly to my biochemistry major because it allows me to formulate my thoughts through different lenses. Many times in the biochemistry core classes students only focus on memorizing and analyzing material in a more factual way. My Spanish major has allowed me to take classes where we discuss humanitarian problems occurring not just in medical settings, but all over the globe. I truly believe taking Spanish classes have allowed me to mentality relax during the semester and not stress too much over my science courses. I do believe studying is important but my Spanish class discussion reminds me that there are far more important things than just your studies to worry about. My Spanish class discussion reminds me there is work to be done, not until I graduate from college or medical school, but change that can be worked for currently. I truly believe my Spanish and biochemistry majors complement each other. Taking classes in the liberal arts and science college is such an amazing curriculum to follow. The Spanish classes allow me to stay true to my roots by reminding me of the beauty in my latinidad and learning to embrace it, even as it shows up in my science careers. Being aware of one’s identity is super important as it allows youth to acknowledge what position you are in and how to manipulate this in a beneficial way for others. Helping others looks differently, but the reason and passion to help should always come from selfless motives. 

After graduation, as a double major Spanish and Biochemistry major I would like to become a research assistant in a local research laboratory focused on autoimmune disease. But in the near future, I would like to work in a medical setting as a pediatric endocrinology specialist. These specialists focus on the gland and immune system in children. I really am passionate about helping other kids, who like myself are being diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroid from a young age. I am also super excited to work with kids and parents because there is a very important dynamic between parent and child that should be overseen by someone who is not part of the family. This is crucial since doctors can help stop abuse or familiar abuse occurring in the household, in order to care for the child’s stability and mental health.

As a biochemistry major I have taken multiple classes in lab and prerequisite classes for medical school. Most importantly I have been able to discuss work ethics and global political views which I believe working in the medical field are crucial to feel comfortable with. In medicine there are many questions that arise regarding the ethics vs protocols, but being familiar with how the medical world is practiced in other countries can be very helpful. I believe we can sometimes get caught up in this idea of the US policies being the only ones existing, but this is so untrue. Global views allow doctors and will allow me to better facilitate conversations with patients from different nationalities and overcome language barriers. 

Espero poder trabajar en el área de medicina y la lengua española en un ambiente académico para poder ayudar a la comunidad hispanohablante. Como guatemalteca de familia migrante, conozco de las dificultades que la comunidad hispanohablante enfrenta en este país, más en la área médica. ¡¡Espero poder ayudar de maneras pequeñas que a largo plazo tengan un impacto!! ????

I believe all the subjects we unpack in this course allow me to think critically which is an important skill to attain when working in the medical field.