American Student Takes Classes in Spain

I want to share with you my experience taking classes in Spain. In the summer of 2021 I had the opportunity to embark on a journey with other UMass students through the Salamanca Summer program. To provide some context I’ll start off by saying I was really excited to study abroad because this was my last summer before graduating. I would not have another opportunity to do so once the academic year started. Secondly I’d also like to share that although I am bilingual and familiar with the language, this was my first time travelling to Europe. I hope as you read my experience, you are encouraged to also participate in this beautiful adventure and get out of your comfort zone.

I have travelled internationally before, but of course travelling to Europe had its own culture shock. First, buying a ticket to Europe had its own struggles because prices vary by airline and finding one that was suitable for me took some searching. Next, packing for a one month stay may seem overwhelming but the most important thing to remember is that you can wash clothes, so only take necessities and leave some space for souvenirs in the suitcase. Make a list of the items you need to bring versus a list of items you want to bring. Then cut this list in half this is what you shall bring.

The best part about the program is that you get to live with a host family and you have the chance to pick certain preferences like if you like pets, don’t mind living with children and other important factors like diet and allergies. In my case, my host mom was a retired nurse who had two twin nieces who would always visit her. This experience was very charming because my host mom welcomed my housemate and myself as if we were part of the family. More importantly, she was very attentive to our needs and checked in on us daily to see how we were doing. She was super personal and amiable. 

Lastly, I’d like to mention some of the culture shocks that I and other UMass students experienced during this program. As previously mentioned I am bilingual and have spoken both English and Spanish my whole life, but knowing and practicing the language is just a start to enjoy your time in Spain. Among the biggest differences were the architecture and some lifestyle commonalities like the food and of course the weather. Spain is super hot in the summertime and although when I was there the highest temperature was about 87°F, it usually goes up to over ninety degrees. This is important to mention because a lot of people would forget to drink water regularly and therefore suffer from headaches from the heat. No one got super sick but it’s important to remember to hydrate in order to best enjoy the time abroad. Salamanca is known for its iberian plates which is essentially a type of pig. This pig eats acorns from Quercus trees. In addition to iberian pork, salmantinos also like to eat lentil soup. The most majestic part of living in Salamanca was the mesmerizing architecture that holds jewish, roman, and moor imprints.

To conclude, I’d like to encourage you to take the opportunity and travel to Salamanca. It is an unforgettable experience that will open your mind and taste buds to new and rich things.