Learning from Different Disciplines.

Apart from being a Spanish major, I also major in Film. I have taken a lot of classes that focus on international film, as well as film analysis and criticism. I took a class titled Contemporary Hispanic Cinema; the course focused on films that have been released within the last 10 years. Although it was a film course and we focused a lot on film analysis, the films had an overlying theme of collective memory. The films were from different Spanish speaking countries, and they all focused on a different history from that country. I think the course made me more curious about some of the history of Spanish-speaking countries.

I have also taken some courses in Theater because of my minor. I had no interest in acting but I was curious about lighting and scenic design. I was required to take an acting class and, honestly, I went into it thinking I would learn nothing from it. However, it made me better at analyzing text, reading between the lines to find more meaning in what characters say. It taught me to pay more attention to a character’s actions and how to explain the emotion conveyed by performances or certain choices actors make. The class also taught me how to be more comfortable with public speaking. Something that has come in handy, since I have had to present in some classes since. Overall, I would take any opportunity to learn something new, you never know how it might help you in the future.