The Year in Review

I would like to say that this has been an uplifting joy, but instead it has been full of changes, and as we all know change can be hard to take.  The testing from last year has been toned down, but the ability to plan creatively has still been looked down upon.  Technology woes from day one continue, as do teacher/student relations problems.  Our “in-house” room has become a joke, where students go and get away with any and everything.

With all that being said, my students are great.  The potential they have is amazing if only I could get them to believe it.  Effort is high as is behavior in my room.  Work is completed at a rate of 83%, which is very high for the 8th grade at my school.  I have been mentored by a gentlemen with over 30 years of experience and have learned a great deal on how to speak with staff and students.  Funny, but add age discrimination to the list of prejudice i have observed.

My most memorable lesson came about on a whim, as my students struggled with negative and positive numbers.  I broke it down to the simplest form, and they almost all got it.  Imagine using a “+” sign and a “-” sign to help add or subtract.  Nothing fancy, but sometimes those are the best lessons to see.