State Science Standards

So, in my first 3 years of teaching I’ve been told that the only constant in education is change.  I have noticed that this is a fairly true statement.  Recently, the state of Massachusetts has adopted a new hybrid version of the NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards).  These new standards realign some curriculum for teachers within their grade levels.  Thankfully, at first glance, it appears the subjects that I teach have only slightly changed.  The last set of science standards, which were created about 10 years ago, were from my understanding, the first concrete set of science standards.  Ten years later we have a new set of science standards.  My question is how do you adjust to changes like this?  I am curious if other states have a turnover of standards and how frequently you may encounter this?  When I spent time working in North Carolina, I noticed that their standards were very detailed as to what teachers should be teaching.  The Massachusetts standards appear less detailed, and the new standards appear even less detailed.  Is this leaving room for teachers to focus on what they feel is important?  I guess the only way to tell what is really expected will be to look at released state exams when they come along.  Until then, I will try and dissect these new standards in preparation for a turn over.

Here is a link to the new Mass standards:

http://www.doe.mass.edu/stem/review.html