Search for a web host complete!

Before I started on this practicum, I created a prototype using Microsoft Access that gives an idea what I want to do with my micronutrient calculator website. I used this prototype to demonstrate to people how it could work to get the green light for the practicum.This database needs to be converted to a format that can be viewed via an openly accessible website. I would like to get a prototype on a website so that I can start adding content and refining the application. For this I need a programmer and an internet address where I can place my site, and a host to hold the data. I located a web programmer (an acquaintance) who is helping with the difficult part of creating the database and controls that will exist on the website. He had some “preferred web host capabilities” that would help him use the programming language that he wants to use. So I started my search. Not an easy task because there are literally thousands of web hosts and novices like me have no idea where to start! Within the Microsoft site, there is a tool to help find a web host http://www.microsoft.com/web/hosting/home. I could narrow down my search to providers of specific technologies and read some reviews about the web host. After cross-checking with some other sites, I selected one, had it approved by my programmer, and signed up! He is now working on getting the basic calculator functions together. I will have to move along with getting some content written for my site, and finding a nice web page template to hold the nutrition content and calculator.

One thought on “Search for a web host complete!

1. Nancy Cohen

Hi Julia – You are pointing out how much behind the scenes work goes into a website! Sounds like it’s moving along smoothly, though. Keep us posted!
    Dr C